Part 11

Parseltongue- Harry speaking ; snakes speaking

'mind talking/ communicating'

**************

The week went pretty smooth. All the classes were extremely interesting, except History of Magic. Professor Binns kept droning about the goblin war and putting everyone to sleep. Professor McGonagall started her class by jumping of her desk as a cat and turning into a human to scold and turn Ron, Seamus, or Dean into a pocket-watch when they came in late. The teachers were all nice, yet they were good at teaching and Harry and his friends had just about no trouble doing homework. Harry also went up to McGonagall's classroom a few more times, and the two chatted the night away. The most surprising thing was that Ms. Norris, Flich's cat, actually seemed fond of Harry, which was weird since the two didn't like anything.

Finally, it was Friday. All the first years were chattering excitedly and fast. Some were re-reading books about flying (Hermione), some were very nervous (Neville), and some were bragging (Draco. Though he stopped when he received a glare from Harry.)

"Good morning!" two voices shouted. Harry, Neville, Hermione, and Draco didn't even need to turn around to know it were the Devil Twins.

"Good morning," they all replied.

"So-"

"are you excited?" George finished as they came over to the Ravenclaw table. They started coordinating where they sat. It had now become normal. He and Fred started filling Harry's plate, much to his dismay. The twins had taken up the job to make sure Harry ate enough.

"We are, but except Draco, I don't think we've been on a broom before," Hermione said, looking at the boys for confirmation. Draco and Neville nodded, but Harry thought for a while before shrugging.

"I remember being on a toy broom before, but nothing higher than a foot," he said. The others looked at him baffled. 

"But didn't you live with muggles?" Draco asked. Harry clenched his fists slightly.

"I remember just about every detail of my life. So I remember before the Dursleys," he explained. The others nodded their heads. 

"Don't worry, my friends-" Fred started.

"you'll all do great." George finished. The others took their word because they were on the quidditch team.

Soon, the first years made their way to the courtyard. The four friends got their brooms and stood at the end of the line. Then their other friends, Pansy, Blaise, Theo, Susan, and Hannah also went to stand next to them. After a while, Madam Hooch entered the pitch and told the students to hold out their right hand and say up. Harry and Draco got it on their first try. Blaise and Theo on their third and Pansy, Susan and Hannah on their fourth. Hermione's didn't move and Neville's just rolled over.

"You have to be confident," Harry said. "Call it like you would call a pet." After a few tries, they finally got it. The two smiled at him. Madam Hooch went around correcting the students. When she was done, she said,

"Now, when I count to three, kick off with your feet. One, two-" Neville kicked off suddenly and his broom went out of control. The students gasped. Neville's friends watched on intently.

"Get back here!" Hooch shouted. But there was no stopping him. He was finally tossed off his broom and landed on the ground with a crunch. 

"Ohh, looks like the wrist's broken. Let's get you to the infirmary." She led him back up to the Hospital Wing. After a while Harry turned around and looked at the group. Most Ravenclaws had taken out a book and were reading under a few trees. The Hufflepuffs were talking quietly, as were the Slytherins. The Gryffindors were running around or playing games. The people who weren't doing anything of these things decided to fly around or watch the people who were. Harry saw that Draco and Blaise had already taken to the skies, so he sat down next to Hermione and watched them. Suddenly, Draco descended and stopped next to Harry.

"Hey, want to join us?"

"But I don't know how to fly."

"We could teach you," Blaise said. Harry agreed and grabbed his broom. 

"Now, bend your legs and push off the ground. Don't push too hard, and be confident," Draco instructed. Harry did just that and soon he was having the time of his life. There were gasps of awes around him but he ignored them, a smile stretching on his face.

"You're a natural!" Hermione shouted. He grinned at her and his friends.

"Hey guys, look what I found!" Theo said. He grabbed a glass ball and held in front of the Slytherins.

"Its Neville's remembrall. Give it here," Harry said as he held his handout. But just then Zacharias Smith swooped by and grabbed the object.

"If you want it, then you'll have to catch it," he said, smirking. The he proceeded to go up in the air and threw the remembrall far away. Without thinking Harry went straight after it, ignoring the shouts of the others. He flew after it, using the speed limit on the broom. Once he got close enough, he reached out his hand and followed it downwards. Just as it was about to hit a wall, he grabbed it and pulled upwards. He flow back to his classmates who were all cheering forhim, even non-Slytherins.

"HARRY POTTER!"a voice shouted. He turned around to see Professor McGonagall advancing towards the group.

"Professor McGonagall it was not-" Hermione was cut of by the teacher holding up a hand.

"That's enough. Follow me, Mr. Potter." With that she led him to into the building. She stopped by a classroom and knocked on the door.

"May I borrow Flint?" she asked the teacher. Out came a Slytherin boy. "Follow me, you two." She led them to Professor Snape's office.

"What's the matter, Professor McGonagall?" Snape drawled as he opened the door.

"I know I want to win the Quidditch Cup this year. But still, I believe I have found you a new seeker." Flint's eyes lit up and he looked at Harry head to toe.

"Potter?" Snape asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I assure you, Severus, that he will be a good player. I just saw him catch that object from a fifty-foot dive. Even Charlie Weasley couldn't do that!"

"Hmm...What do you think, Flint?"

"Well...," said boy started, going around Harry. "He certainly is small and seems very light. He also has the right build. But we'll have to test him out to see if he is the right one. He will also have to go against Higgs."

"Alright," Snape sighed. "I'll give him a chance."

"But you better make sure there is no cheating. Or I will not hesitate to give him detention for pulling off such a risky move," McGonagall said. The others nodded.

"Professor McGonagall," Harry said as the lady turned to walk out. "May I return this to Neville? He is in the Hospital Wing right now."

"Of course. But what happened?" McGonagall asked. Harry sighed.

"Draco and Blaise were teaching me how to ride a broom when Theo saw the remembrall and picked it up. But somebody, and I will not say who unless they admit it themselves, snatched it out of his hand and threw it far away. I followed after it because it was sent to Neville by his grandmother and no doubt he would want to keep it. I caught it and had just landed when you called out my name," he explained.

"Hmm... 5 points to Slytherin for trying to help a friend. Follow me, Mr. Potter. I'll lead you to the infirmary." As Harry left the classroom, he missed the surprised and sad looked on the head of his house's face.