Part 21

Parseltongue- Harry speaking ; snakes speaking

'mind talking/ communicating'

**************

Christmas was coming. It became apparent when one morning in mid-December found itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake was frozen solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrel around, bouncing off the back of his turban.

No one could wait for the holidays to start. The drafty corridors had become very icy and a bitter wind rattled the classes down in the dungeons. Worst of all were Professor Snape's, who apparently didn't care for the storm outside and continued plowing through his lessons. It was a pitiful sight when their breath rose in a mist before them and they kept as close as possible to their hot cauldrons. Yet the commons rooms and the Great Hall were a blessing. The roaring fires kept the whole school warm, and more often than not the small group of friends would be seen spending time there.

"I do feel so sorry," said Draco, one evening after potions class, "for all those people who are going to stay at Hogwarts." He turned to look at Harry. "Are you sure you want to stay at Hogwarts? I can't imagine living in a climate like this."

As soon as Professor McGonagall had come around with the list of those who were staying for Christmas break, Harry was one of the first to sign up. Any way to be away from the Dursleys would always be taken into consideration.

He smiled wryly at Draco. "It's not that bad, I've seen worse. Besides, the Weasleys will be staying as well." Draco sniffed.

"You're bloody mental, you are."

"Thanks."

He went outside to give his friends a farewell. However, Harry felt a pang of loneliness watching Draco leave. Even if it was for only 2 weeks, he had become accustomed to seeing the blonde every time he turned his head. They bickered, sure, but he had grown fond of the boy. But he wasn't left in his musing for long. The Weasley twins bounced up to him, hooked their arms with his, and marched off, practically lifting him from the ground and dragging him.

"W-wait! What's happening?!"

"Shh, dearest,"

"We have a surprise for you!"

"It better not be a prank or so help me-"

"We would never!"

"..."

"At least not this time..."

"Marauder's promise."

Harry groaned and let them have their way. It was no use. At least it wouldn't be a prank wherever they are taking him, since they gave him a Marauder promise. Of course the twins told Harry all about the Marauders. They said since he was now their adopted brother, it was only right he knew how they pulled all their awesome pranks. Harry still wouldn't tell them how he knew about them, no matter how hard they tried. It was a secret for another day.

Soon they pulled up outside the Great Hall. The twins let go of him and with a dramatic bow, opened the door for him. Harry was astounded. The hall looked spectacular. Festoons of holly and mistletoe hung all around the walls, and no less than twelve towering Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles.

The twins smirked and laughed at his reaction.

"I remember us looking like that Forge."

"Right you are Gred. Ahh, the good old days."

Eventually, Harry breathed, "Amazing...This is beautiful."

"I know right."

"We helped out."