Chapter 25

Chapter 25

For a prisoner, the treatment isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm still given three small, extremely small, meals a day, which I just push away. I'm also given water periodically throughout the day. The bed I'm provided is more comfortable than the one I grew up with. Compared to my childhood, the treatment here is paradise.

The only downside is the lack of blood I'm given. My throat feels like it's burning and no matter how hard I scratch it, the only way I know it would stop is if I get a taste of blood. However, no one here knows that I need blood.

I don't know how long Layton has been gone, but it's been a long while. Another thing that I don't understand is why I haven't been killed off yet. I'm pretty sure that they aren't supposed to keep a prisoner alive this long without doing anything to them.

It's not that I'm complaining, but I'm just suspicious. There's something else going on and I have no clue what it could be.

***

I'm going to go insane.

It's been so long, way too long, since I've been here without a single trace of blood. My fangs are out and I can't retract them; I'm too thirsty for blood to have the energy to hold them back. Luckily, it's too dark in here for anyone to see the fangs.

Or at least I hope so. My vision in the dark isn't the best due to my half genes, so I'm not sure how strong a full vampire's vision in the dark is. Hopefully it's not too much stronger than mine, otherwise they'll be able to see two sharp fangs out in the open.

Every plate they've given me, I've pushed away. It isn't what I'm hungry for. I need blood, and I need it badly.

Suddenly a guard comes in carrying a struggling person. I can smell that the person that he's bringing in is human. That's strange, why is he coming towards my cell? From what I could tell, every prisoner gets their own cell.

Thinking that it's for some reason that doesn't concern me, I turn around and stare at the wall. It's a few more seconds before I hear the sound of my door opening. Snapping my head towards the noise, I see the guard push the human inside before closing and locking the door. He walks away and I peek at the human to the side.

"Please let me out!" the human cries out, slamming his hands against the metal bars. He must be slamming his hands pretty hard since, before I know it, the smell of blood reaches my nose and I take a huge inhale of it.

I close my eyes while letting the sweet smell envelop my senses before immediately pushing myself to the farthest corner of the cell, away from the human.

He continues to cry out and shake the bars, not realizing that the more he bleeds, the more my self control is spreading thin.

You do not kill humans... you do not kill humans... you do not kill humans...

I keep chanting that phrase in my head and cover my nose with my hand, while using my other arm to hug my knees closer to my chest. I need him to stay far away from me. I can't lose my self control like this, I can't kill him. I won't kill him!

I'm not a murderer. I'm not a killer. I'm not a monster.

Killing a human for blood is against everything that I stand for. No matter how hungry I am, I'm not going to kill anyone. I already have too much in my hands for murder to be added to the long list.

Once he realizes that he can't break the solid bars, he sinks down and his eyes find me. His eyes widen and he starts making his way over towards me. Oh no please don't...

He sits in front of me and grabs my shoulders. I tighten my hand around my nose and sink my fangs down to my bottom lip, ignoring how much blood is spilling out. I do not kill humans. I am not a monster.