Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Sabrina's POV

Using my left arm, I wipe away the blood staining my mouth while holding the dead neck of a bear with the other. There aren't supposed to be any bears in this part of the woods but somehow I managed to come across an adult male.

An angry, hungry adult male bear.

Luckily I escaped with a few cuts along my arms and some on my face. Feeling my face for a moment, I cringe at the outline I feel of a deep gash near the side of my forehead. Guess that bear got a few lucky hits after all. Never mind that though, I'm alive and he's well...not so much.

I continue marching through the forest while wincing at the stinging pain of the gash. That's another thing that sucks about being a dhampir, my injuries don't heal as fast as a regular vampire. They heal eventually, but it takes about the same time as it would for a normal human.

I press a hang on the gash to keep blood from spilling out and look around for a river so I can clean my wounds better. "Ugh, I hate life," I mutter to myself, stepping over a thick branch. Seeing as I'm not going to come across a river anytime soon, I rip off a section of the sleeve and wrap it around my forehead. I make sure that it's tight enough for the blood to clot and heal the skin before wiping my hands along the material across my stomach.

After five hours of walking, and another three wood animals dead, I finally make it out of the forest. I smile in victory as I walk towards the town. It's going to take another few minutes to enter the village but at least I'm getting somewhere. "I'm coming Jack and Sarah," I say, smiling widely. Thinking about them gives me the boost that I need and I start to jog towards my destination.

The sun is up but it's going to set in a few more hours so I'm determined to meet up with them before the vampires come out.

Once I'm in the town, I see familiar people smile at be but otherwise say nothing. Seeing them makes me realize how much I miss being here. While they have never talked to me properly or even know my name, it just makes me feel better that they smiled at me, no matter what might have been the real reason why they were smiling.

Maybe the birth of their child was successful.

Maybe they had luck finding a job.

Maybe a sick family member became healthy.

Maybe they found their true love.

The last thought sends a deep pang in my heart that I try to ignore. However, my efforts were in vain since everything I come across reminds me too much of him.

The eyes from a little girl are two shades darker than his. The hair from the gentleman getting flowers reminds me of how messy his hair was when we were in the lake. The way that man walks reminds me of how confident he is addressing hundreds of guests at the ball. Everything I come across makes my mind drift back to him, and I don't bother trying to think about something else.

But I'm dangerous to him. I'm a ticking time bomb. I'm an illegal freak. I'm the monster parents warn their children about. Hell, I'm the monster even the monsters are scared of. Wars were fought and won because of what I am. Both the guilty and the innocent died because of me. Blood stained my hands before I was even born. Centuries of hate only grow stronger by the day.

He, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. People love him, adore him. He was born to be loved by all who come across him. He has the coldest tone, but the warmest eyes. He has a guarded attitude, but a kind heart. He puts others before him, he cares about his people. People love him. He's showered with compliments day after day, year after year, all for it to never end.