Chapter 3

Brandon and Braydon to the side

Chapter 3

Standing at the bottom of the stairs, I watch silently as two masked figures subdue Alex while trying to fight off Amber and my mother at the same time. Alex is trying to hit and kick his way out of their hold while the other two were throwing vases and pillows at them.

I'm too distracted at the scene that I don't notice what everyone is screaming about. I turn to my mother to ask what's going on but she's too busy at the situation at hand to listen to me much less look at me. Everyone's too busy that they don't notice me standing five feet away.

"Please don't take him!" Amber sobs, throwing table decorations at the two.

"Let him go!" Mother screams, hitting one of them with a pillow. It's then that it clicks for me; the royal family is supposed to take a slave to go with them to the castle.

What's different is that they don't usually enter a house. They would find some unlucky human wandering around that hasn't been drained dry by the other vampires in town. So what are the two doing breaking into a house?

Standing around isn't going to solve anything so I decide to try and help. I run to the closest masked person and claw at his hands to make him let go of Alex. I'm obviously not as strong as them but I did get everyone's attention.

"You'll just ruin everything! Go back to your room!" my mother yells at me.

I scoff and drop my hands from the vampire. "I'm trying to help them!" I explain to her, trying not to raise my voice and make the situation worse.

"Like you'll go against their kind," Amber accuses, scowling at me. I take a step back while letting her words register in my head. Do they think that just because I'm half vampire that I would just let them take Alex away? Don't they understand that I'm not just half vampire, I'm half a human too!

I glare at them while they turn their attention back to Alex. I'll show them that I'm nothing like the bloodthirsty dhampirs they think I am. I turn back towards the two, who are too preoccupied with Alex to hear about the fight I just had with my mother.

"Take me but let Alex go! I'll go with you guys willingly if you let him go!" I shout with a strong voice, making them stop in their tracks and turn towards me. Just like that everyone gets silent in the room and I gulp down my nerves. I hate being stared at by everyone in the room.

Alex looks at me with a shocked expression, and I'm sure that the two vampires mirrored his expression behind their mask. I'd be shocked too if I were them. All we've been taught was that being taken away to become a slave to the royal family is going to be the worst experience in your life, and yet here I am volunteering to go so they wouldn't take Alex away.

"If we let him go...you'll go with us...without a fight?" one of them asks in disbelief, cocking his head at me. I nod silently and watch them slowly let go of Alex. He brushes off his shirt before looking at me.

"I didn't need your help," he sneers, glaring at me. "I had it all under control."

I almost flinch, taken back by his reaction. I expected a better and more grateful reaction to what I had just done. Does he not realize that I basically saved his life? "But then you'd be dead," I say, pushing past him to go outside. I can hear the two following me as I walk out of the house. Looking at the street, I see a lone carriage outside our house with the door open so I walk in and sit down in a seat.

As the two get inside and close the door, only then did I really feel the fear creep inside. I may have volunteered to do this, but that didn't mean that I wasn't scared. I'm terrified of what's going to happen. I'm not stupid enough to try and run by them. Yeah I could outrun them but that would mean exposing myself.