Chapter 14

Sabrina's Dress to the side

Chapter 14

It's been a couple of months since I've told Layton, Maybelle, and the twins my secret, and surprisingly my life here has gotten better. I hate that I was wrong about them, but at least having them know makes being here a little more easier.

They sneak me some animal blood when their parents aren't looking so I don't starve myself, and I'm proud to say that I'm starting to convince them to go vegan and drink animal blood. Braydon complained the most during it but he still drank it which is more than enough for me.

Whenever I have to go out to hunt, sometimes they would join me. Of course I never catch anything since none of them can hunt to save their lives, but it was fun to have company around. We also would have races per Braydon's request and I would win each time.

The situation with Drew is also getting a little bit better. Layton would steer me away whenever Drew or Karla were near me so I wouldn't have to interact with any of them. It makes it a little easier considering that Braydon is also the only one who constantly requests that I join in everywhere but as long as it's not Drew then I'm okay.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Now it's the day that the castle is holding the ball to celebrate Drew's birthday and his coming of age. All the guys and Maybelle are in their rooms to get ready so I was left by myself in my room, twirling a dagger around in my hand.

Suddenly someone barges into the room making me yelp in surprise. My eyes widen seeing Maybelle and I give her a thumbs-up. Her sleeveless gown is in a rich, purple color that reaches down to the floor with a sweetheart neckline. Pleated beads wrap around the waist of the dress separating the soft fabric from the chest and the ruffled fabric of the skirt. In one hand, she's holding a purple mask that matches.

"Wow," I breathe out, "You look-"

"Breathtaking," Brandon cuts in, kissing Maybelle on the cheek. I smile at the interaction between the two. They're so in love with each other!

"Thanks! Oh and Sabrina, I got you something too!" she squeals, making my eyes widen.

"What?"

"You're going to the ball," she says, before Layton comes inside with a bag in his hand. She wants me to go to the ball?

The ball where Drew is supposed to find his soulmate? Vampires from all around the world are coming just to see if they're lucky enough to be his soulmate. I know that she has no idea what it's like between Drew and I, but no! I'm not going to a place to watch Drew get worshiped by girls prettier and better than me, my pride won't allow it.

"Slaves aren't allowed to go," I blurt out, hoping that it was actually the case. The king and queen hate my guts so I know that they would never let me there and for once, I'm okay with the decision that they made.

Maybelle digs around in her bag before taking out multiple bottles with a clear liquid inside. It looks really familiar but I can't remember where I've seen it before. "That's why I got you this! It's a scent disguise. It'll mask your scent to match a basic vampire one. It won't change your natural scent though."

"Natural scent?" I repeat in confusion, catching one of the bottles that she tosses at me.

"Everyone has one. Yours kind of reminds me of...dirt?"

"Thanks Maybelle," I say, rolling my eyes as Layton and Brandon both chuckle from their spot against the wall. I don't know why they're just standing there.

Also, where's Braydon? I usually never see Brandon and Layton by themselves without Braydon. Maybe he went ahead to the ballroom already. It's easy to forget that he actually works here since he's always so carefree and laidback. I can't imagine him ever having a serious job or have a job and take it seriously. Is that mean?