Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I must have been on the floor for about ten minutes, not including how long I've been crying, before someone knocks on the door. I sniff back more tears and wipe my cheeks before slowly getting to my feet. Brushing some hair away from my eyes, I open the door and nearly gasp in shock seeing Drew. What's he doing here?

Suddenly I remember that I'm in Braydon's room so I quickly drop my gaze. Of course, he was probably expecting Braydon. Drew frowns at me as his face twists in confusion. "What the hell happened to you? Were you crying?" he asks. He doesn't sound concerned, he sounds...annoyed.

"No," I lie, holding my left elbow with my right hand. "Did you need anything?"

"Yeah," he replies, looking more like his usual self. "Maybelle said she wanted to see you for some reason. Her room's the last one down the hall so go to her," he orders, before walking away.

I feel myself grow more sad seeing him walk further and further away from me. But what was I expecting? For him to confess his love to me just minutes after his kissing session with Karla? I scoff to myself. What are the chances of that happening?

I walk out of my room and follow his directions to Maybelle's room. She told me earlier that if I needed anyone and I couldn't find them in the living room, they're either discussing something with the king and queen or in their bedrooms.

When I arrive outside her room, I decide not to knock and just walk in. Turns out that was a bad idea since as soon as I walk in, Maybelle and Brandon are kissing each other heatedly while Braydon is looking through some papers. Not knowing what else to do, I awkwardly clear my throat to get their attention.

Brandon looked annoyed that I just interrupted them while Maybelle grinned. "Sabrina! Took you long enough. Did you get lost on the way here?" she curiously asks.

I shake my head. "No, but if I'm interrupting anything I can leave," I tell them, keeping an eye on Brandon's annoyed expression.

He sees my wary gaze and waves it off. "No it's fine, come in," he says, motioning me inside the room. I close the door and take the open seat beside Braydon since he shifted a little to make more room to me.

"What did you guys want to see me for?" I ask, looking at all of them.

"For company," Braydon replies, before narrowing his eyes at me. "Hey, have you been crying?"

Maybelle grabs my chin and forces me to look at her. "You look like you have. Sabrina, what happened?" she asks, just as all three of them stare at me expectantly.

Well this is awkward. "Nothing guys. I just hurt myself hunting," I lie, smiling to make it seem more believable. Luckily, they all look like they believe my lie, despite Braydon giving me a suspicious look but he still drops it.

"Good, I thought it was something serious. It's almost noon now and I'm getting tired. Wanna stay here Sabrina?" Maybelle offers.

As tempting as the idea is, I don't want to be the only one awake while they're all asleep. That would make it seem like I'm watching them sleep, which is really creepy. "No thanks, I think I'll just go around and explore the place," I tell them, standing up.

"Just don't go inside the offices I showed you, and into any other rooms you don't know about," Braydon warns, getting comfortable in one of the sofas. "Be careful, okay Sabrina?"

I nod in response before I give them one last wave and walk out the door. I close the door and turn around, instantly coming face to face with the very last person I wanted to see. Can't fate just give me a break? I think I already suffered enough.