Sick

I wake up in the morning and I feel awful. I'm hot and I can't stop coughing. I get up and get ready anyway. I work on a new dress and Maxon walks in. I still can't stop coughing so every time I cough I have to move and stop sewing so I don't spread germs. "America darling are you all right?" Maxon asks coming over to me. "Yeah, " I lie. "You don't look it, " he says. I stand. He touches my forehead. "America you're burning up, " he insists. "You need to rest, " he says picking me up. He brings me to my bed and lays me down. "I'm going to get the doctor, " he says rushing away. Maxon brings back a doctor. "She just appears to have a 24-hour virus, " the doctor says. "So you can't give her any medicine?" Maxon asks. "I'm afraid not, " Dr. Ashlar responds. "Ok thank you, doctor, " Maxon says. The doctor nods and leaves. Maxon sits down next to and I ask, "Don't you have work to do?" "It can wait." "Maxon..." I start. "I'll get my work sent down here if you're gonna make me work or I'll take you to my room but leaving you isn't an option, " he says. I fall asleep with his arms holding me to him. I wake up to a voice shouting our names from my office. Oh no! It's the king. Maxon gets up. "Stay here darling, " he says. He walks out of my room and a moment later I follow him. "What is this?" the King demands holding a newspaper in the air. "What?" Maxon inquires. "Did you know what he did?" the king asks me throwing the paper at me. I look at it and on the front cover is Daphne kissing Maxon. "Yes, " I say. "Son how could you do such a thing! It's not princely behavior!" Clarkson yells. I press play on the tv and he sees it all. Luckily he shuts up. "That Daphne!" he yells storming out. I get really dizzy. "Maxon?" I call out reaching for him. I fail and faint to the ground. "America!" I hear him yell as I hit the ground.
Maxon's POV...
I bring America up to the hospital wing. The doctor wanted to do some type of scan. An hour later America is still unconscious and Dr. Ashlar comes to tell me something. "Your highness I'm afraid it's not just a cold..." he starts. "What's wrong?" I ask concerned. "She has stage four lung cancer, " Dr. Ashlar says. "What?" I say in disbelief. "I'm so sorry your highness but you might want to look for a new girlfriend, " he says. "Don't say that, " I demand.
America's POV...
I wake up in a hospital bed and I can hear Maxon and the doctor talking from outside the room. I hear Dr. Ashlar warn Maxon to find a new girlfriend. Maxon tells him not to say that. Maxon walks into the room. "Hey, " I whisper. "Darling there's something you need to know, " he says. "That something is going to kill me?" I inquire. Maxon looks like he's on the verge of tears after that statement. "America you have stage four lung cancer, " the doctor says. I just nod. "Well if I do die I'm no dying in a bed, " I say attempting to get up. "America-" Maxon starts. "Please, " I say quietly. He doesn't protest anymore. I surprisingly don't feel sick anymore. I go to my room to get changed for the report tonight.

I sit on my couch for a few minutes and silence absorbing everything

I sit on my couch for a few minutes and silence absorbing everything. I go upstairs to the report studio and I walk in staring at my hands. The Queen looks upset and the king looks angry. Maxon walks over to me. We sit down and he holds my hand. The report starts. After the announcements, the newspaper comes on the screen. "So Prince Maxon and Lady America, everyone wants to know what this is about?" Gavril says waving us over. We walk over. "Lady America did you know about this?" Gavril says. "Yes, " I nod. I go over to the tv to plug the jump drive-in. "It wasn't his fault let's clear that up, " I say. We watch the tape and everything is cleared up I think. "So where are you two at?" Gavril asks. "Same as last time, " I smile. "Great sooo how's that proposal looking?" Gavril winks. "Not yet, " I laugh. "And I'm sad to say there won't be any engagement between the two of them for now, " the King says walking over. "Why?" Maxon asks shocked. "Due to Lady America's health conditions, there will be a selection to find the new princess of Illèa...the only way to call it off is if America gets well, " the king says. "Father-" Maxon starts. I stare at the ground and a tear falls down my cheek. "Is everything okay?" Gavril asks. "I have stage four lung cancer, " I say softly. "I'm so sorry, " Gavril says. "Thank you, " I nod. "Dad I'm not going through with a selection, " I say motioning to go off air. Maxon gives my hand a little squeeze. "Son she's going to die, " Clarkson says raising his voice. "She will not!" Maxon yells. I know I very well could die. "You will have a selection and find a healthy girl, " Clarkson demands. "I will not! And may I remind you mom was sick when you chose her!" Maxon yells. I look over at Queen Amberly and she nods. Clarkson grabs my wrist and pulls me away from Maxon and I yelp. "Let her go!" Maxon demands. "Office, " he tells me. "No!" Maxon exclaims.  "Clarkson please, " Amberly begs. Clarkson let's me go. I rush out of the room as fast as possible and down towards the gardens. It's pouring but I don't care. I sit on the place Maxon and I sat on our first date and I just cry. I hug my legs to my chest and rest my head on my knees.
Maxon's POV...
"I'm not going through with the selection and that's final, " I demand. "I agree, " my mother says. My father buffs. "And could you have been anymore insensitive...you practically she told her to her face she was going to die!" I yell my voice breaking. I rush downstairs to America's room. She's not there. I go to her favorite place though I doubt she will be there since it's raining...the gardens. I turn the corner and there she is. She's crying. I sit next to her. "Hey, " I say softly. She looks up at me. "America everything is going to be okay...I convinced my dad that there's no need for a selection. America you'll be healthy again in no time I just know it, " I say. "Maybe the  selection is a good idea, " she mumbles. "America of course it isn't, " I reassure. "Maxon don't you get it?" she says turning to me. "I'm going to die Maxon. You need someone who has a future, " she cries. "America you have a future! You're not going to die do you hear me?! You won't die!" I say crying as well. "How are you so sure?" she cries. "Because you're a fighter America. This won't take you down. Plus I finally found love and nothing is going to take you away from me, " I respond. "I love you, " I say. She stares at me still crying. "I love you too, " she sniffles. I kiss her. Then I pick her up ad carry her through the palace doors. We are both dripping.
To be continued...

Hope y'all enjoyed the chapter! Love y'all! Let me know what you thought in the comments!! 💖