Chapter 6

Enjoy!

Chapter 5

“Hey.” You said, as I sat down across from you, I just gave you a smile.

“So, why are we here?” I asked, curious as to why we were sitting in the small café where Jill worked as a waitress.

“I just kind of missed Jill, so this way we could have our weekly coffee time together, while kind of including Jill.” You rubbed the back of your neck sheepishly.

“…” I didn’t bother replying to that. To be honest, I was a little angry at you for including her on our time together. Lately, all you had been doing was spending time with her. I had even had to put up with you bringing her home, and sleeping together in the bed we normally slept in. The noise had kept me up the entire night, it had been impossible for me to get any sleep at all. And it had happened…every night this week. It wasn’t the lack of sleep that annoyed me as much as the fact that you brought her into our home. It had always been ours, even before Jamie moved in. Even then, when you were dating her, you never brought her home, not until you were married and my sister moved in.

Jill noticed us soon after I was seated, and shot me a death glare over your shoulder as she kissed you hello. “What may I get for you, Lynn…and friend.” Distastefully, Jill added me to the end of the sentence. Even though she knew full well what my name was, I had attended and helped at every wedding planner, cake tasting, dress shopping appointment, even down to the nitty gritty color picking selection.

I was Lynn’s best man after all…

You were too busy looking down Jill’s – much too low cut, slutty shirt (okay I’m still prejudiced, but it’s true!) It was so easy to see down her shirt that she might as well have not been wearing one (dumb café for allowing Jill to wear her street – hooker - clothes to waitress!) - as she bent over to kiss you to notice her disdain towards me.

I ordered a hot chocolate and told you that I was going to the washroom. Noting your glazed expression, and absent nod, I looked at where you where gazing. Pft. Figures, sometimes you were such a pig, you wouldn’t stop staring at Jill’s backside.

Heading off in the direction of the washroom, I noticed as I passed the kitchen that Jill was loading your carrot cake, and black coffee onto the tray, along with my hot chocolate, but not before spitting in mine. Yuck! I would not be drinking that. Jill being the hooker she was probably had an STD…

I heard Jill say to the owner – a rather overweight old man – who she had wrapped around her finger. “I’m taking a smoke break.” He too, nodded absentmindedly at her, just like you, his eyes were glued towards her cleavage. It made me sigh, poor susceptible people, they didn’t understand the true Jill for who she really was.

***

I had just been about to exit the stall when Jill entered the washroom too. She was talking on the phone, quickly and sounding extremely frustrated. It looked to be interesting, so I took my phone out of my back pocket and hit the record button.

“Yes sweetheart. By next week I’ll be married to the billionaire bitch, and then in a couple months, I’ll get that divorce and we’ll be living like queens for the rest of our lives okay?”

“No, I still haven’t paid off that debt to Jimmy.”

“Yes, yes, I know that it’s a couple hundred thousand dollars now, I’ll do it soon, and I’ll have access to the bitch’s wallet soon anyway.”

“Yes! I’m aware that he’s a loan shark. I know! It’s been 5 years, and his interest rate is steep. Look, I’ll fix it soon.”

“Look babe. Meth wasn’t, and still isn’t cheap, you know that. I had to take that loan, I hadn’t had any in days!”

“Okay, I love you too. I’ll talk to you later.”

I watched Jill through the crack in the stall as she unbuttoned her shirt by another button, and reapplied her startlingly red lipstick.

I opened the stall door with a bang. “Jill.” I nodded at her and began to wash my hands.

Jill had a scared expression on her face.

“How long have you been in there?”

“Long enough. You’re cheating on Lynn, and using her for her wallet. You owe a lot in debt to a loan shark. And you’re addicted to meth.”

Suddenly, Jill’s expression turned devious. “Who do you think Lynn will believe? You? Or me?”

What Jill didn’t know was that I had proof.

***

Sitting across the table from you, I looked at my mug of hot chocolate with disdain, and didn’t touch any of it.

“Look, we need to talk.” I managed to draw your attention away from Jill’s backside with some difficulty.

“Jill is crazy. She’s cheating on you, she’s doing meth, she owes a lot of money to a loan shark named Jimmy, and she’s using you for your wallet, and she’s planning to run out on you in a couple months.”

Jill, who was serving a customer at a nearby table glared at me while you just looked on in disbelief.

Jill came over and said angrily, with her hands on her hips. “Adelaide is lying, why ever would I do that? I love you Lynn. Adelaide is just jealous of us and she has feelings for you, so she wants to get rid of me.”

You looked at me angrily and said 4 words that crushed my heart. “I don’t believe you.” Then, you said 7 words, and those crushed my world. “I never want to see you again.”

***

And so I drove home quickly, packed my bags and went to live in my old penthouse… I hadn’t lived there in ages, it was on the top floor of the second tallest building – the tallest residential one – in the city, second only to Weston Enterprises’ corporate headquarters.

***

Within a couple of days – during which you lived with Jill - all my bags were moved to my new home. I left behind anything that reminded me of you. I still couldn’t believe that you had taken Jill’s side. It seems that I lost at everything. I lost to my sister, I lost to her memory, and I lost to Jill.

I decided that since most of my bags were still packed, and the wedding was in 3 days, I might as well leave the country, at least for a little while, maybe forever even. I could afford it, the money that I had amassed from my various investments, books, movies based off my books, and my deceased parents’ company over the years would keep me in golden robes if I wished, for many lifetimes. My family had all been influential politicians, and businessmen the Brandon family had been on the same tier and in the same social circles as your parents were in.

That was how we had met after all, your family had all been highly influential businessmen and women along with lawyers and politicians. You and I had met at an all-girls private boarding school in France, while my sister had gone to a mix-gendered school in Switzerland, having wanted to drool over the boys and the girls.

Before I left, I wanted you to know the truth for yourself. I loaded the recording from my phone onto an empty USB, before sealing it away into an envelope and deciding to drop it off at the post office in the morning. It was addressed to you.

***

I had finally decided on Paris as my final destination. It was a simple matter to book the ticket. I would leave the morning of your wedding day. I would be on a plane to the other side of the world by the time you would say ‘I do.’ And you would have your wish granted. I would disappear, and you would never see me again.

Thanks for reading everyone! Please Vote-Comment-Fan. Another chapter will be posted tomorrow. 

-Lex