Chapter 26

"So, I need your opinion on something," Jay asks out of thin air, filling the silence of the kitchen with his inquiry.

I pull the pan of lasagna out of the oven and set it on the island right in front of Jay who's sitting on one of the barstools as usual. As I'm fanning the lasagna with a pot holder, I shamelessly admire the boy sitting across from me.

He's in need of a haircut for his blonde hair is starting to become shaggy to the point where I could put it into tiny pigtails if I wanted to. His eyes are more on the gray side this evening, no longer the pale, electric blue they were when we were kissing in the cafeteria, but I think only certain levels of surprise and ecstasy can bring about that color blue in his eyes. His teeth look freshly whitened. Or have they always been that pearly white before? I can't remember. And have his eyelashes always been this long? I can't say for certain.

I wish I remembered these minsicule details. I wish I would've payed more attention to the boy who only came over on Tuesday nights for lasagna and nothing else.

"This better not have anything to do with which superhero I prefer, because I refuse to answer and will remain neutral," I say with a serious tone even though I'm being 100% sarcastic.

Jay laughs and shakes his head. "No, it's not about that."

I turn away from him and open the cabinet, grabbing five plates. With one hand on the cabinet door and my head still facing the inside of the cabinet, I ask with a pinch of worry, "Then what is it about, Jay?"

"I need your opinion on what color of tie and all of that stuff to wear," Jay responds. "I've got a million ties and shirts and suits, but I don't know which will work."

My chest fills with relief at the simplicity of what he needs from me. Spinning around to face him, I set the plates on the counter. "Do you have pictures for me to look at? I'm going to need to see which ones would go with my dress."

He raises his eyebrows and snarkily adds, "If you would just let me see the dress, I could do this on my own."

"I told you that if you see the dress, it'll ruin the magic."

He huffs but then smiles at me, "Then I guess you're just going to have to come and see for yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"Come over after dinner and help me pick all of it out," he grins. I get the feeling he wants to do more than just pick out his suit and tie. And I think my hunch is right by the boyish, immature grin that's revealing his pearly white teeth right this minute.

"I don't know," I open the untesil drawer and extract a spatula. "I can't just leave the boys here alone, and I have the impression that you would rather not have them tag along."

He smiles rather bashfully and says, "What about Tony?"

Speaking of the devil himself, Tony walks in the door right as his name rolls off of Jay's tongue with Miranda, someone I haven't seen attached at Tony's hip for a long time. She was always my favorite of the girls he paraded around here. I'm glad she's back. Maybe she'll keep him in check and under control.

"I think Tony could handle taking care of the twins for a little bit," Jay says while pointedly looking at Tony who looks normal, no longer sporting red-rimmed eyes and the vague aroma of alcohol.

Tony actually cracks a smile when he asks, "And why is Tony being put in charge of the twins for a little bit?"

"Sarah and I have an errand to run."

I watch him as he snatchs Miranda's hand where was swaying at her side. Their fingers interlace, and I see his thumb start to rub patterns into her palm. She glances up at him with a small smile.