Chapter 22

Approximately two hours and nine minutes later, my doorbell finally rings, ending my agonizingly long wait. I hop off of the armchair where I've been literally waiting on the edge of my seat since I walked in the door and pass by the twins who are glued to the television and answer the door.

What strikes me first is the over-sized bouqet of flowers in Jay's right hand. The red and pink roses, at least two dozen, look dazzling in the green cellophane wrapping currently holding them together. I'm not sure where one gets such fresh and beautiful roses at this late of an hour, but I'm definitely not complaining.

What strikes me second is what is behind that bouqet: Annalise. She's dressed in princess pajamas and her hair is wet presumably from a bedtime bath. In Jay's left hand is one blue and black gym bag and the other bag in his hand is a pink and purple backpack in the shape of a ladybug. Obviously, he's bringing his entire family like I always do.

An apologetic look graces his face as he begins to speak, "Sarah, I'm sorry, but I didn't have another choice. The nanny's off until Sunday I think, and my mom was nowhere to be found. I couldn't just leave her there by herself, and I didn't want to be there by myself with her, either. You understand, right?"

I step forward onto the porch and take the flowers and the bags from him. "Of course I understand, Jay. I'm in your current position 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I understand completely."

He leans in and pecks me on the cheek before adjusting his hold on Annalise and stepping into my home. I step in after him and close the door, setting down their bags by the stairs. He sets his sister down, but she doesn't go anywhere, just clutches Jay's pant leg with her small fist. She looks up at him with big eyes and asks, "Where am I going to sleep?"

Jay and I look at each both with perplexed looks. This unexpected surprise has screwed with our usual sleeping arrangements, which really weren't that complex to begin with. I would feel terrible if I made Annalise sleep on the couch, but I wouldn't feel so bad if the twins slept on the couch. They'd probably love it since they've always wanted to go camping.

"Annalise, do you like bunkbeds?"

------------------

Just like her brother, Annalise hadn't ever had bunkbeds before and was as eager as Jay was when he got to sleep in them a few weeks back. She immediately climbed up the ladder to the top bunk the minute she set foot into their room, and she's obviously not as finnicky as she seems because she doesn't seem to mind sleeping in an icky, boy's bed in an icky, boy's room.

Maybe Jay's sudden interest in bonding with his little sister has him rubbing a bit of normalcy off on her.

"If you need anything, we're right through that door," I point to the bathroom door. Annalise peeks her head over the railing of the bunk and takes note of the door.

"Goodnight," she says as she leans back against the pillow and pulls the covers up to her chest.

"Goodnight, Annalise. See you in the morning," I reply. I flick off the lights as I exit the room into the hallway. I descend down the stairs and come upon the scene of a typical living room campsite. Jay and the twins have set up the twins' sleeping bags on the floor in front of the television, and they've also hung up some sheets in the form of a teepee across the living room. They even managed to find a battery-powered lantern and plunk it down on the coffee table.

"You guys having fun?" I ask even though I clearly know the answer. All three of them turn to look at me with huge grins. I notice a movie other than The Avengers is playing on the television, but I couldn't tell you the name of it to save my life.

I walk over and plop down on the couch. Jay and the twins are sitting on the ground just in front of the coffee table eating what looks to be untoasted s'mores, which, for the record, definitely don't look as appetizing as the real deal. "Finish those s'mores and then it's bedtime," I tell my three little happy campers.