Chapter 11

"There's my birthday boys!" I enthusiastically yell as Connor and Nick drag themselves into the kitchen for breakfast. I walk over to the table and place two plates of birthday pancakes, which are cake batter pancakes with icing instead of syrup, in front of them.

Today's November 10th, also known as the day ten years ago I gained two attention-stealing, gross little brothers. I was seven when they were born and would've given my left leg for a sister that day in the hospital, but I received not one but two little brothers to go with the one I already had. I went from being the baby to being the dreaded middle child in just three short hours.

They were born exactly one month premature and therefore had to spend another two weeks in the hospital once they were born, which gave us time to finish getting the house ready for two more people. Tony was moved to the basement and baby gear was crammed into every corner of our house.

At two and a half weeks and 7 pounds a piece, the boys finally got to come home, bringing home every ounce of chaos they could. But here we are at the ten year mark with every limb, finger, and toe intact.

The only thing they're missing is a mom, but I'm currently filling that position until further notice.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Tony and Jay laying out the bounce house in the backyard. I let the boys eat their breakfast while I go out the sliding glass door and out into the backyard to supervise their progress because if Tony's putting it together, he won't read the instructions and something will get broken.

I lean against the deck railing, watching them attempt to unwrap the bounce house. I can hear Tony's muttering of expletives as he kicks the big chunk of nylon. Jay seems to be suppressing a grin, but when his gaze lands on me, the grin breaks out of its suppression.

After extracting Jay's hand from my side and his subsequent intertwining of our fingers, we didn't break the bond of our hands for the rest of the night. Nick, Connor, and Annalise noticed but weren't interested in us. I guess Jay and I should write some thank-you-cards to the makers of the Snickers bar.

Neither of us made a big deal of it when we winded up back at my house afterwards. "Thanks again for helping in the hair department this evening. It was greatly appreciated," Jay said after we dropped our hands from one another and he shoved his hands in his pants pockets.

"No problem."

Annalise skittered by us and jumped into the backseat of Jay's Escalade, reminding us that we had kids to take care of and put to bed. "So, um, I guess I'll see you later."

Jay started to get into his car when I remembered I hadn't invited him to the twins' birthday party. "Do you and Annalise want to come to the twins' birthday party?" I blurted out like a maniac.

"The 10th right?"

"How do you know their birthday?"

"They told me and invited me when you were playing beauty shop," a sly smirk taking over his face as he said it. He started the engine as I said, "They like trains and cars. Also the Avengers."

"I'll see what I can do," he said as I stepped away from the driver's side door and he rolled up his window. He waved as he backed out of the driveway, disappearing into the night.

He definitely kept his promise by showing up with two huge, wrapped birthday presents and by helping Tony out with the pick-up and set-up of this train shaped bounce house. "How's it going?"

Tony looks back at me and scowls. "I still can't believe I let you talk me into doing this." He gestures at the partially unfolded lump of nylon fun.