Chapter 20.

"I swear to God if you two let that squirrel in here," I hold the phone while it's still ringing, attempting to get the scolding out of the way before I answer it, "I'll make you two go clean Tony's room."

Nick and Connor hastily back away from the sliding glass door, where, on the other side, is a squirrel pressing its face against the glass. The little pest has been stalking around on the deck for the past hour, waiting for one of the twins to take pity on him and let him in from the snow. Nick came dangerously close just a few minutes ago when I walked into the kitchen to answer the phone, which I have yet to accomplish.

They retreat to the living room as I click the button on the phone to answer it. "Hello?"

"Sarah?" I recognize Jay's voice instantly. I'd recognize that voice even if I went deaf.

"Hey," I say with a grin on my face. If only he could see the blush staining my cheeks and neck right now.

"Hey," he repeats back to me in that husky voice he used the last time we were together. I practically melt where I'm standing in my own kitchen. "What're you up to?"

"Oh, you know, foiling plans about letting a pitiful squirrel into my immaculately clean house," I say, "So, the usual."

Jay laughs, and I wish he was standing right next to me so I could feel the tickle of his breath against my ear when he laughed, but he's a couple hundred miles away, and I'm here, ticking off the minutes until he comes back. "Well, I'm glad you're keeping busy while I'm gone."

I roll my eyes at his jab. "As much as you may like to think so, and I'm so sorry to burst your bubble, but my life does not revolve around you, Mr. Keely."

"Does my existence mean nothing to you?!" he cries out, and is immediately followed by a bout of laughter on both of our ends because we both know that's the farthest thing from the truth.

Jay has impacted my life since the first day he set foot in my kitchen. He's become just the fifth person I interact with on a daily basis, and that is a very rare thing when I add someone to the roster. Then, after he became a permanent fixture at Tuesday night lasagna, he wormed his way into becoming my friend, a feat few ever achieve. Finally, Jay Keely leveled up to the highest level that there currently is: boyfriend. HIs current position is one no one has ever seized before, and therefore, I have no idea where we go from here or what happens next, but I'm ready for whatever does happen.

"When does your flight land?" I change the subject and am met with silence on his end. I listen for some sarcastic comment, but all I can hear is the faint sound of his breathing. I could listen to his breathing all day, but I'm starting to think he's deliberately not answering me. "Jay? Is everything alright?"

"Actually, no. My dad has decided to stay in Washington a few more days to tie up some loose ends before the holidays begin, like he'd spend them with me and my sister anyway, but we won't be home until Saturday at the earliest." I detect the sadness in his voice, and it breaks my heart a little.

"Why can't you leave earlier than the rest of your family?" I inquire.

"It's all about the publicity, babe. Saving face and making sure I'm not screwing up are the only two things my father cares about, and he can only do those two things if I'm constantly at his side."

"I feel lied to," I sarcasatically sigh, "No one ever bothered to inform me that my boyfriend is a political puppet."

"Do I need to just wear a nametag that says, 'Hi, my name is Jay and I'm a brainless snob when my father's around.'?"

"It definitely wouldn't be hurting anyone." I walk around the island and take a seat on one of the barstools. I begin monotonously tracing the patterns of the granite countertops with my finger, following all the swirls and twirls of the browns and blacks. If Jay was here, we'd probably be having Sunday afternoon sex upstairs, keeping me busy, but now I have to entertain myself, which is clearly not going very well.