Chapter 3.

"All I'm asking is that you behave," I remind the boys before I let them run off with their friends. "If I hear you're scaling the tennis court fence again, we're going home and you're not getting Burger King."

I make sure they nod and understand what I'm telling them before releasing them to most likely reek havoc on some poor souls while they try to eat their food at the picnic tables. The picnic tables are a notorious spot for the grade and middle school kids to congregate and hang out at, so they're not stuck in the stands with their parents.

I make my way to the bleachers over looking the freshly chalked and mowed field. The sun is just starting to set and the temperature is already dropping, which is why I grabbed a blanket out of the back of the Tahoe before I left the parking lot. I hike up the steps and take my usual spot on the end of a bleacher not to far from the stairs. Not two seconds later, Bridgette plops down next to me, grabbing for the blanket.

"It's not even that cold!" I exclaim. Granted it will be in maybe fifteen minutes, but it's at least decent now.

"Have you seen my outfit?" Bridge gestures to her body. A mini skirt that's just barely covering her crotch is neon pink and purple plaid. She has that paired with a white, rhinestone-embellished tank top and purple, strappy sandals. I look away from her and glance down at my outfit, which is a pair of loose-fitting jeans, a t-shirt with the school's logo on it and Tony's number on the back of it, a light blue fleece jacket, and gray running shoes. Pitiful yet weather appropriate.

"That's not my fault you chose to dress like that," I raise my eyebrows at her. Her angular features are highlighted with a ton of foundation and a little bit too much eye shadow, which doesn't bring out her beautiful blues. Then, I notice her sleek, usually straight red hair has been curled into little ringlets, spiraling down her back. She hates taking the time to curl her hair except for special occasions. The hair, the outfit, and the absurd amount of make-up translates to the fact that she has a date tonight. "And who's the lucky gal who you got dressed up for anyhow?"

"You know the head cheerleader?" She points to one of the cheerleaders trying to rile up the crowd with her pom-poms. She's pretty in that-bitch-you-totally-hate-but-still-find-stunning kind of way. Long, blond hair and big boobs. No wonder she got head cheerleader.

"Heather?"

Bridge nods and then elaborates. "She's not completely 100% but I think one date with me will totally make her realize that men are pigs and women are better partners."

I roll my eyes. Bridge does this a lot. She finds a girl who is in limbo sexuality wise, and she tries to basically recruit them. "You're playing lesbian recruiter again, Bridge."

"Am not," she says. "It's a revolution."

"Why don't you just let them be and let them figure it out for themselves?" I sigh. Bridge likes to meddle, and she's damn good at it too, and she knows it.

"Because they never will!" She yells. People look at her like she's insane, which is sometimes accurate. "Sometimes people need that little push, you know?"

I smile at her and just shake my head. When Bridgette's determined to something, the only thing that might, just might, stop her is an asteroid destroying the planet, but even if that happens I'm sure she'd find a way to complete her task from the dead.

The game starts and Bridge and I don't really pay attention, even though we are some of the very few who understand the game, but we're just here in support. Bridge's brother, who was adopted from Africa when he was two, is one of the star runningbacks. That kid is beyond fast.

Bridge and I have been friends since freshman year when she, unsuccessfully, tried to hit on me, and in some crazy way that locked our friendship in its place. She knows our predicament from the inside out and even misses my mom like the rest of us. She's strong too. She doesn't hide her sexuality like a lot of high schoolers. In fact, she flaunts it. Practically taunts the boys that she gets more girls than they do.