Buzz Kill

"Are you almost ready?" Noel had been waiting for what felt like and eternity. While he took a while to get ready in his own right, he was aware enough to start with enough time to finish and get to the party on time.

"Stop rushing me! I'll be down in just a second. I'm putting on shoes as we speak!" Y/N was a resourceful person, and years of procrastination had made her quite quick getting ready. "See! All done." Pausing at the balcony overlooking the living room to present herself to Noel who was reading on the leather sofa below.  As he looked up at her, he gave a small smile and thought to himself, Beautiful. 

"Is the cab here yet? We don't want to be too late, we'll miss all the fun!" Y/N said as she ran down the stairs of her loft style apartment

"If we're late, it won't be the Cabie's fault." Noel replied, giving a huff and a slight eye roll, then proceeding to go back to his book.

"Geeze, someone's grumpy today, what's going on?" Noel could be a bit of a diva, but after 6 months of dating, Y/N could tell this wasn't one of his usual moods.

"Ben is going to be there." Noel said, finally looking up from his book.

"Oh crap really? I hate that guy!....who is Ben again? Sorry dove but you know I'm terrible at names...I'm sure I'll recognize him when I see him!" Walking over to Noel, Y/N was trying to bring back some of Noel's light hearted nature, and it seemed to be working.

"It's alright love," A slight smirk appearing on his face, "I don't think I've ever brought him up. Ben happens to be someone who I knew from my days of clubbing. He was a huge poser and overall asshole, and from what I hear about him now, not much has changed." He was clearly bothered by this Ben character and Y/N could tell that Noel was not telling her the whole truth about his relationship with Ben. But in this moment, she recognized that he needed her to be supportive, not prying.

"How do you even know he's coming?" Which was a valid question seeing as the host, Y/N's work wife, didn't know Noel well. Definitely not well enough to share the guest list with him.

"Kat told me. She apparently knows his manager." That's when Y/N realizes that her previous question wasn't valid at all. The film industry in London is approximately the size of a pinhead. If you know one person well, you know everyone in the business by 4 degrees of separation.

"Ugh, gross. Well you don't have to talk to him if you don't want to! All of your Bake-Off friends and a bunch of new people will be there, so the likelihood you being stuck in a conversation with Ben is slim at best." Y/N said with a sincere smile, rubbing his back slightly. "And if worst comes to worst, call me over and I can pretend like I need you or...something." With Y/N's face turned down in a look of slight concentration trying to come up with a believable lie, Noel couldn't help but smile at that cute expression. Looking back up and seeing now a full on smile gracing Noel's face, Y/N thought to herself , mission accomplished.

"Thanks babe, I might have to take you up on that." This is exactly what Noel needed to feel calm again. As he looked down on his partner, he wrapped her up in his arms, head resting on top of hers. Just as he was about to ask if they could stay in tonight, his phone rang.

"Hello?...Oh! Yes, we'll be right down...yeah, see ya." Crap. He thought. Well I guess it's too late now.

"Was that the Cab?" Without waiting for an answer, Y/N started gathering her things scattered around the living room.

"Yep it was. Ready?"

With belongings in hand, Y/N replied, "Steady." 

"Alright then, let's head down." With Noel's arm wrapped around Y/N's shoulder, they were headed off to the party.

————————

Once they arrived, Noel and Y/N realized that they weren't late at all

Once they arrived, Noel and Y/N realized that they weren't late at all. It felt like the real party had just started. The host was Helen Brougham. She was—besides Y/N's work wife— a lead producer at the BBC, so everyone who was anyone was there. The music coming from the house was definitely club music, not to the pairs liking, but it's something to dance to. You could smell the weed being smoked on the front lawn from the street, but seeing as there wasn't another house for miles, it didn't present too much of a problem.

Noel, who is a little more 'protective' then he normally might be, had his hand firmly placed on The small of Y/N's back at all times; a feeling Y/N did not mind at all. She liked feeling like she was his prize. As they walked in to the house, they were greeted by several people. Some knew Y/N from work and others knew Noel from his younger years or from TV.

After catching up with everyone and doing some networking (Which was largely the party's purpose), Y/N and Noel find each other again. This time, Noel has a drink in his hand. "Sweetie, I thought we agreed no drinks tonight! I wanted to smoke with you and I don't need you getting cross faded!" Y/N's faced formed a small pout and she dipped slightly to show her frustration.

"Lovely, to be frank, you don't need to be so concerned. I've done much worse than this and came out just fine." He said with a mischievous smirk on his face.

"Ugg well if your getting fucked up so am I! No double standards!" Y/N pointed her perfectly manicured finger and wiggled it in Noel's face in an attempt to be threatening, which elicited a small chuckle from Noel.

"Alright, alright!" Hands going up as if to say 'I surrender', "There is a reason we took a cab right? What can I get her highness?" Taking a shallow bow, all the while making sure not to spill his own drink of Whiskey.

"You may retrieve me," Y/N proclaimed in a over the top imitation of the Queen, "One lime rum and coke!! And a White Claw!!" While pretending to knight Noel with a spare pen she had found on the floor somewhere. "Onward brave night!"

And off Noel trotted, in a similar fashion to Monty Python in the holy grail.

After laughing an unreasonable amount to Noel's antics, Y/N found a seat on a couch and started up a conversation with someone while she waited for Noel to return with her drink. Sometime went by and she was really hitting it off with the person she had met on the couch. That person, was Ben. Ben Stone, to be exact. This knowledge was unknown to Y/N but it would become very clear in the next few moments. As it turns out, Ben is hilarious, handsome, and an attentive conversationist. Nothing like the man Noel had described at the apartment. Everything was going fine until he grabbed Y/N's thigh. This, while uncomfortable and gross, was not uncommon in Y/N's line of work, so with a swift decline and a fast retreat to find Noel, Y/N was prepared to handle this creep. Apparently so was Noel.