Late Night Lattes

It was a brisk spring afternoon in London, and Y/N was sitting on the balcony of her loft apartment smoking a cigarette and working through some contracts. She had just got back from a grocery run, and was wearing relatively casual clothing. She had nowhere to be, so comfort was key in this moment. Her eyes were about to glaze over from exhaustion when Y/N got a text from Noel.

"Hey dove, I have not yet finished my big art piece for my showing next week, soooo I think I'm going to have to sleep at the studio tonight

"Hey dove, I have not yet finished my big art piece for my showing next week, soooo I think I'm going to have to sleep at the studio tonight. I'll try to get home before sunrise but just wanted to give you a heads up."

She put down her phone on the little coffee table and took a few drags of her cigarette before returning to her work. This update was a little disappointing considering she hadn't seen him in weeks due to his touring schedule. Noel always had something going on, between TV appearances, his art, and the Amazing Boosh, she had not had much quality time with her man in a while. She wanted to talk to him about it, but she wasn't much better. She was the head of her department at the BBC. Late nights were common with her too. Sighing, she picked up the phone and responded:

" OK, should we have a date night this weekend? I miss you lots xx"

Putting her phone back down, she looked over the London skyline. Dating someone who was as busy, if not more, than her it was new. She was used to dating deadbeats who had more dreams then prospects. She had a soft spot fir the Romantics, rebels, dreamers, and artists of the world. This usually meant that her love interests hung around her apartment, and were available whenever she wanted them. She was not used to having to wait. They had been dating for about a year now, and the time apart was weighing on her.

After some time with no response, Y/N eventually stopped waiting, and left to go make herself some dinner.

It was a round midnight when Y/N checked her phone again for a response from Noel. Still nothing. So, being the impatient woman that she is, Y/N decided to take things into her own hands. Grabbing her jacket, bag and keys, Y/N walked over to her car. If Noel was going to sleep at the studio, so was she. Y/N had no morning meetings the next day, so she saw this as a perfect opportunity to surprise her man. She figured since he was staying up late to work, she would appreciate a few caffeinated beverages. Stopping at Noel's favorite coffee shop downtown, Y/N grabbed one iced caramel latte, a large macchiato with a dash of milk, and two deli sandwiches. (There were very few stereotypes Y/N fell into, but being bisexual and living on iced coffee was one of them.) with all the stops and traffic included, it took Y/N a little over an hour and a half to reach Noel's Studio in the warehouse district. Seeing as it was around 2 AM, and Y/N had yet to tell Noel that she was visiting him, it wasn't too hard to understand when she rang the doorbell and Noel did not buzz her in.

He probably thinks it's a drunk!

Pulling out her phone, she quickly sent him a text "Lovey, I'm outside! Open the door! I brought you coffee and a sandwich xx"

The shadowy streets were starting to catch on to Y/N's paranoia, and she was starting to think of this whole plan was a good idea. Noel still hadn't responded to her texts, she was cold, her hands were starting to ache from holding the tray of coffee, but most importantly, she was scared. Just as she was about to turn back to her car and drive home, Noel responded to her text,

"Baby! Sorry I didn't see this earlier! I'll come open the door."

Moments later, she heard the steel door creek open and there stood with no shirt, on covered in paint.

Hot Damn.

"Y/N/N! What are you doing here? Didn't you get my text? I'm gonna be here all night."

Ignoring Noel and walking right past him, up the narrow stair case to His studio, Y/N called down "I know! That's why I brought you coffee and a sandwich! Even Leonardo da Vinci took a moment to refuel."

Y/N walked over to the little living area Noel had set up in far left corner of the room to set her things down. It was rustic. A wobbly table, two mis-matched chairs, an ornate gold mirror he had found on the side of the road, and a futon that lay on the floor with a colorful quilt on top. While a little frumpy, it matched the aesthetic of the room perfectly. As she scanned the room, she saw piles of canvases laid against the wall as far as the eye can see. There were a few still on easels, she assumed those were for the show. The room looks like it hasn't been cleaned in ages, but she wouldn't have dared to touch a single thing, this was Noel's space. It wasn't hers to clean.

" Dove, I appreciate this so much, but I really need to work tonight

" Dove, I appreciate this so much, but I really need to work tonight. I can't really hang out..."

" I just wanted to see you! I miss you so much and I just want to be with you for a little while. I won't be in your way, I brought headphones and a laptop so I'll just be doing my own thing and watching you work!"

"Uhh well I guess you can stay...thanks for the coffee dove."

Satisfied with getting her way, Y/N set up her laptop on the table and began to write emails and check client updates. About 45 minutes went by and Y/N was ready for bed. It was 3:36am and she hadn't stayed up this late in months. She rummaged around until she found a paint stained over sized shirt, likely the one Noel was wearing earlier this evening before opting for a more...primal... approach. She undressed from her own garments and slipped in to the shirt, then looked over to Noel, who was visibly tired. He was yawning, slouching, and struggling to continue even one brushstroke without losing his train of thought.

Closing the laptop and walking over to Noel, Y/N wrapped her arms around him from behind, standing on her tippy toes to place her head in the crook of his neck. He smelled like sweat, paint, and hair gel. A perfume combination she had grown fond of.

"Y/N... you said you wouldn't distract me, I really need to get this work done by Friday so it's fully dry."

" Noel, it's Monday. You have all week to finish. You're tired, I can see you yawning all the way from the table. Do you really think you'll produce your best work half asleep? Come to bed dovey."

"I can't. I need to work."

"Noel, your stressed. I get that this is a big deal, but you can't let painting become a chore. The reason you can make such inspired art is cause you love it so much! You can work all day with out interruptions tomorrow. You need to sleep."

Turning around and looking in Y/N's eyes, he saw the sincerity in her eyes. He knew deep down that she was right. Conceding to his lovely partner, he walked over to the futon and flopped down. He never understood how she could talk him into doing things no one else could. They were always in his self interest, but until Y/N, he had never listened to reason. He liked that she brought out the best in him.

"Can I be little spoon tonight?"

"Sure Noel" Y/N said smiling at him. She crawled under the quilt and wrapped her legs and arms around his torso, enveloping him in her warmth and love. She didn't get to be the big spoon often, but when he asks for it, she knows that's the time he needs to be comforted and cared for. And she's more than happy to take on that role.