2. Kenny

Chapter Song: Wish I loved you in the 90s- Tate McRae

I'd been back in town for not even a full twenty-four hours and I'd already seen him. What a cruel joke that seemed to be never-ending.

Salt in an opened wound.

I knew I'd see him sooner or later at the wedding. I just at least hoped I'd get some time to prepare. I should have known better than to think I would have time. I guess I was foolish enough to think or even hope that he wouldn't be around.

I guess it was one of the reasons to come back early. To give me some time to adjust but also to prepare to see everyone. The questions, "the fake nice" adults tended to play at events. It could definitely be a lot to take in. Overwhelmingly so.

Leave it to Liam to not care about any of that. He'd throw us in a room and lock us in there until we were best friends again. It didn't matter what either of us was feeling, as long as we could get along. I just had to make sure I didn't let Liam anywhere near locking us in a room together. Maybe I shouldn't have come back so soon.

Maybe I shouldn't have come back at all. No. I couldn't do that either. I wouldn't. Regardless of how painful being back here was.

What I shouldn't have done was take Cal's car. I shouldn't be flipping on the blinker onto our old street where so many memories sat between us. I shouldn't be parking into my driveway as if I did it all the time. I shouldn't be lingering on the memories flooding my brain. I shouldn't be feeling a sense of normalcy even for a second.

At least not in his car.

I forced myself out of the car and up the driveway without a second thought. Too many thoughts. I climbed the three front steps and rang the doorbell. I thought I should have knocked but who knows if they'd hear it. Besides what else are doorbells for?

"What in the world?" His voice rang out through the entire front yard. "Is that you kiddo?"

"Hi dad," I nodded vigorously stepping closer towards him. He stumbled towards me wrapping me in a giant bear hug. I inhaled the familiar cologne he always wore. "It's me," I whispered.

"My Kennedy is home," he kissed my forehead. "C'mon let's get you inside. Tish! You better get in here." He called out to the house as he shut the door closed behind us.

"What? What is it?" I heard the footsteps before I saw her. "Kennedy? Oh my god!" She rushed into my arms and squeezed me.

"Hi," I said weakly.

"Welcome back. God, I can't believe you're here. And early!" She rocked me back and forth more likely afraid that I'd disappear if she let go. I couldn't say I blamed her.

"Let's sit down yeah? You want coffee? Who's car is that? A rental?" My dad asked as we walked to the kitchen.

"Yeah, please that'd be nice." I let them lead the way even though I could walk the path in my sleep.

"Cream? Sugar?"

"No black is fine," I gave a small smile. We waited in silence until the Keurig started its brewing cycle three times through. One for each of us. "It's Cal's car. Ran into him at Liam's."

He slid the mug across from me. I watched as the waves of coffee calmed to stillness before picking the mug up. I tried not to look at it. Instead, I focused on the billows of steam in front of my face as my lips reached the mug.

"Ahh, I see. He's doing okay? I think I saw him a week or two ago." I gave him a nod not really listening.

"So how's Sam?" I winced.