13. Cal

Chapter song: Pick and Choose- Daniel Nunnelee

We made it the whole weekend. That's what mattered most.

Not the fact that we slept together. Or that we could act as if nothing happened. We were always good at that. Not to mention how we still haven't talked about it.

Maybe we won't.

Maybe we shouldn't.

The weekend was mostly a blur. A drunken blur if I was being honest. We all were in that state but somehow we survived. No major injuries unless we counted Carter one of our college buddies slicing his hand while chopping things for dinner. But he was sober for that so it didn't count.

I do remember sneaking glances at Ken anytime I could. How she laughed and was carefree. It felt good to see her like that again even if it was brief. How Riley and her danced on the counter singing Abba songs at the tops of their longs.

We even made a fake club inside. Hayden was the DJ while Carter took a chance being a bouncer. Riley and Liam made it to the VIP section where Ken and Riley's friend Lo pretended to be bottle girls. Then the night got fuzzy. I think I carried Ken up to her room and she tried to get me to stay. I definitely carried Liam up to his room.

We got back two nights ago and the usual group were meeting at Liam's to open our time capsule. Riley insisted on us opening it up before the wedding and this weekend would be too busy to prepare for the day that we decided tonight would work the best.

We were supposed to do it at the cabin, but we were all a little preoccupied. Some of us were pretending things didn't happen, some of us were too drunk to walk, and some of us just plain forgot.

I grabbed the drinks I was in charge of supplying and made my way up the steps I could walk with my eyes closed. The door was unlocked so I didn't need a key. I was greeted with the smell of pizza as soon as I opened the door.

"Honey I'm home," I called to no one in particular. Usually I was referring to Liam. At times he would call back in a mocking shrill voice.

As I looked up I caught sight of Kennedy strolling around in nothing but a towel. Her hair was wrapped in a similar towel and she was completely unaware of my presence. I cleared my throat in the smallest of ways.

"Oh my god!" She jumped. "I'm so sorry Cal I didn't know anyone was coming yet." She folded her arms across her chest looking me in the eyes.

What I would give to drop everything in my hands to go and take that towel off of her. Suddenly I was imagining coming home to this. To her. What a perfect fucking view. Shit.

I shook the thoughts away. "You left the door unlocked."

"Shit. Don't tell Liam. He'll yell at me and tell me I'm gonna get murdered." She rolled her eyes.

"You could have. Did the pizza guy come by already?"

"Yeah it's in the kitchen." She ushered her shoulder in that direction.

Obviously it did. That's why you smelled pizza when you walked in you idiot. I needed a distraction from her and fast.

"Are you sure he's not lurking somewhere," I gave her a wicked grin.

"Don't say that," she gasped. Her cheeks flushed and for a second I forgot she could look like that. Her beauty surprised me in ways I didn't understand. "He's probably in my closet," she grumbled.

"Do you need me to scope it out?" I tried to hide my smile.

"No if I scream loud enough hopefully you'll  get there in time. I'm gonna get dressed real quick you can put everything down get comfy. The others will be back in a bit. I don't remember where they went," she shrugged turning back around.