18. Cal

Chapter Song: Dandelion- Oliver Hazard

"You know you didn't have to be my date," she sighed as I escorted her to her table, our drinks in my hands.

"Yeah yeah yeah," I rolled my eyes at her.

"You could have taken anyone I'm just saying," she grabbed her wine from me taking a seat. "You know someone attractive? Someone your age?" She scoffed at me as if it was obvious. This woman always had something to say.

"Yeah but I wanted to take you," I place a hand on her shoulder. "You look beautiful by the way mom," I gave her shoulder a light squeeze. "Way better than anyone I could have taken."

"And you look as handsome as ever, and I know you get that from me," she winked.

"Shouldn't you be making your speech?" Nolan looked up at me.

"Yeah I just wanted to show mom her table. I should probably find Ken too," I trailed off.

My mom raised her brows at Nolan giving him a look. A look that he also returned. Whatever that meant.

"She's absolutely stunning that one."

"And she's an incredible person," Nolan added in.

"Yeah she always is," I agreed with her. I glanced around the yard for her but didn't see her quite yet.

"She makes a really good lemony pasta dish, I need that recipe from her," my mom sighed.

"Wait what? When did she make you pasta?" I asked.

"She came by a week or so ago asking if she wanted some dinner. I think she made it for her parents." She smiled and clasped her hands together. "She stayed and we ate together on the back porch."

"That was nice of her," Nolan responded. "I've always liked her."

"Me too," mom agreed.

I get it they love Ken. I mean who wouldn't? She was a good person.

I didn't realize she had stopped by my moms house. It was interesting that she never mentioned it. I knew she'd been seeing her parents but I didn't think she'd go visit my mom.

The thought of the two of them sitting together made me smile and feel warm. They always got along well, and it made me happy knowing they still did. It didn't matter what happens between us, my mom still loved Ken. She always took care of her.

I used to think it was because my mom had boys growing up. As I'd gotten older I think it was just my mom being motherly. Like how Ken and Liam's dad was with me and Nolan. They all took us under each other's wings. It's takes a village they would tell us.

It definitely did.

Suddenly I spotted her blonde head sitting at a table. I didn't catch who it was at first, but at a second glass I knew instantly. Nothing seemed wrong but I knew we had our speeches to make.

"I'll find you later okay? Save me a dance." I kissed the top of her head and headed to find that stunning woman I couldn't stop staring at.

God she was intoxicating.

"Excuse me my beautiful ladies, Kennedy it's speech time." I bent down between the two of them as I reached their table.

I turned to Kenny's birth mom and introduced myself. I shook her hind politely and gave her a smile. She seemed friendly enough.

I could tell she was nervous being here. But it meant a lot to Liam. He talked about it a lot last night when I got him alone. He was nervous to see her again, introduce her to Riley, Kenny and her being in the same place even. He was excited underneath it all I could tell.