The Dragon Lord is Dead

Hunith awoke to light streaming through the thin cracks in her stone hut. Carefully, she slipped out of bed so as to not disturb the man asleep next to her. She had always felt dissatisfied with her life in a small village, after all her brother had been able to become court physician of Camelot. However, since Balinor had arrived in Ealdor she had never been happier.

The morning was crisp and she could already hear children playing in the grass and their parents preparing for the day. She quickly grabbed a bucket and headed for the village water pump. Once she had filled it to the brim she made her way back to the quaint hut.

Balinor smiled at her as she came through the door.

"Did I wake you?" she asked as she set the water down.

"I was already awake." He reached out and took hold of her waist. He playfully brushed the stray hairs from her face. "Beautiful," he said.

Hunith blushed. "Honestly Balinor..." she broke the embrace. "Someone has to do the work around here."

Balinor groaned and flopped back onto the bed. "Ow." The bed was harder than he was used to.

She laughed. "Not as nice as a Camelot bed is it?"

"It's hardly a mattress."

"That's because it isn't," she said as she folded up the blanket covering the hard piece of wood.

"Why did you never come to live in Camelot?"

She pursed her lips. "I'm not sure."

"You could have stayed with Gaius..."

"I don't know." She sighed. "Camelot just never appealed to me."

"You don't seem happy here either..."

"That's true. I feel alone here."

Balinor took her hand in his. "You're not alone anymore."

"I know."

He took a deep breath. "Hunith," he began. "I've never known anyone like you."

"And I you."

"Hunith, I want to marry you."

She cupped his face in her hands and felt joyful tears brimming in her eyes. "And I you," she said again.

He kissed her. Although the moment was brief, Hunith was never more content. They broke apart as the thunderous sound of hooves barged into the hut. Balinor froze. Hunith looked at him, then peered out the window.

"No," she said. "It's not him."

"He's found me." His tone was calm. He was in shock.

"No he hasn't," Hunith reassured. "It could be anyone." Her heart sank as the flash of a scarlet cape flitted passed the window. "We have to go!" She jumped up and furiously began collecting items and shoving them in a burlap sack. "How much food do you think we'll need? Where can we stop to re-supply? Do you know any-"

Balinor interrupted her. "Hunith, I can't ask you to come with me. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for putting you in such danger."

"You're not asking me. I'm telling you! I'm coming!"

He shook his head.

"You can't make me stay!" she shouted. "I don't care how dangerous your life is. Uther has already taken your home, you can't let him take your family."

---+---

John watched as the Camelot knights approached the village. He knew why they were here. He and the other villagers had tolerated Balinor living among them but the trust between them was thin. The lead knight dismounted and approached John.

He bowed in respect. "Sir," he said.

"We're looking for a man named Balinor. We believe he is hiding here."

"It's true."

"Where is he?"

John sighed. He did not want to betray the Dragon Lord but he put the safety of his own people first. He pointed to Hunith's small hut. "He resides there with a woman named Hunith."

"Thank you," the knight said as he signalled to his men.

John shifted uncomfortably, guilt wracking his body. He had grown up with Hunith. He trusted her judge of character and knew that Balinor must be a good man. He only hoped that they would spare her life.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

A sudden bang on the door caused Hunith to drop the sack she had been stuffing. She looked at Balinor, terror in her eyes.

"Hunith, I am Sir Tilian, knight of Camelot. Open this door!"

She krept back towards Balinor. "What do I do?" she mouthed.

"We know you're hiding the Dragon Lord. There's no point trying to run. We have the village surrounded."

She still didn't open the door. "Balinor?" She gripped his hand.

Suddenly she heard a loud scrape as the door flew off its hinges. She screamed in shock. She felt Balinor grab her and pull her towards him. She felt the cold metal of a blade at her throat.

"What are you---?" Balinor silenced her question with a meaningful stare.

"Balinor," the lead knight cooed as he stepped through the empty doorway. "It's been a long time."

"Not long enough," he retorted. "If you take one step closer I'll slit her throat."

The knight laughed. "You would slit the throat of someone who showed you hospitality? Uther is right about the wickedness of magic."

Balinor's eyes flared dangerously. "You think anyone would willingly take me in? No. No one would have me. I had to give this one some encouragement."

"You enchanted her?"

"Indeed. You're a good man Tilian. I know you wouldn't see innocent life wasted. Step outside. No one else has to get hurt."

Tilian slowly backed out of the hut. His eyes never left the Dragon Lord. Once Balinor was satisfied he shoved Hunith to the ground and removed his dagger from her throat.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I love you."

"Please," she croaked. "Stay."

He didn't. With one last look at the woman he loved he strode outside to greet the circle of knights. He bowed his head as his eyes flashed gold. He searched the surrounding forest until he found what he was looking for. It was time to put on a show.

He held out his hands and a few of the knights to his left were hurled violently backwards. He took off in that direction knowing that the rest would be right behind. He ran as fast as he could and with a little help from his magic he was able to keep ahead of the cloaked men. It was not long before he reached his destination. A rather large plateau of boulders. A fall would be fatal. He turned around just in time to dodge a blade aimed for his chest. It was now or never. He stepped back to where he knew there was no land to catch him.

"Bedydrian," he whispered. His magic obliged. He felt the impact of the sharp rocks below but there was no pain. He let out a breath and prayed to the Gods his plan had worked. He waited, and waited. When darkness began to engulf the forest he felt safe. Silently, he crept back the way he'd come, back to Ealdor. He watched from afar as the head knight came forward.

"Thank you for your cooperation," he said. "The Dragon Lord is dead."

The tears hurt Hunith's eyes and made them weak. However, she couldn't let her weakness shine through her stoic gaze. She had to be strong. It had only been a few weeks since Balinor had left. She knew he was alive. She could feel it. She could feel something else too. Although she had not yet started to show, she could feel new life growing inside her.

She would be called whore, wench, harlot, but she didn't care. It was just herself and Merlin against the world.