Not You Too

The eight knights galloped through the forest intent on making it to Ealdor before nightfall. Merlin rode alongside Arthur keeping a close eye on the once and future king. Arthur slowed his horse and held up his hand to signal the others.

"When we arrive in Ealdor I want you to be courteous and respectful. We must give them no reason to fear us. If the villagers trust us, they may be more willing to give us information. I want someone to wait here with the horses."

A knight riding in the middle of the group came forward. "I will Sire."

"Thank you Sir Callahan."

The group dismounted and walked the short distance to the small town. Merlin was at Arthur's shoulder, giddy with excitement as the village came into sight. It was just like he remembered. A cluster of quaint stone buildings among small fields of grain and livestock. Smoke rose from a few houses and the smell of freshly cooked meat drifted through the breeze. There was a slight chill in the air which meant that most of the villagers were doing their best to remain inside but a few withstood the cold to tend to their livelihood. These were the first to see the armoured group approaching over the hill.

"Greetings!" Arthur called in a friendly tone.

"Prince Arthur?" A young woman with blonde hair approached the group. She smiled. "What brings you back to Ealdor?" Before he could answer her question another woman came out of a cottage to their left.

"Merlin?"

"Mother!" He ran up and embraced her. "I missed you so much!" Hunith broke away and admired her son's face. She turned and looked at the prince.

"Prince Arthur," she said. "What brings you so far from Camelot?"

"We're looking for someone. We believe he may have passed through here some time ago." His voice was authoritative and strong but also kind and approachable.

"Can't it wait until morning?" Merlin pleaded.

"This is a time sensitive-"

"You won't be able to question the villagers until morning anyway. Most are already asleep at this time," Merlin gestured toward the sun that was already setting below the trees. "They have to be up early to tend to their crops and livestock."

Arthur sighed in frustration. "Fine. We'll return to the horses and make camp." He began to retreat the way he'd come.

"Merlin, why has he come here?" Hunith whispered.

"He's looking for someone. A Dragon Lord I think." Merlin noticed something spark in Hunith's eyes. "Do you know him? According to Arthur he passed through here trying to escape the purge. Gaius said he helped him escape Camelot." He smiled proudly thinking about the brave risk Gaius had taken to save a friend.

"I-"

"MERLIN!" Arthur's echoed from the tree line.

"I have to go but I'll see you in the morning." He squeezed his mother's hands and headed in the direction of the voice.

"MERLIN!!"

"I'M COMING DOLLOPHEAD!!!! The servant bellowed back.

---+---

"Thank you, Merlin," said Leon as Merlin handed him a wooden bowl filled with stew. The servant nodded politely. He had always liked Sir Leon. Even though he grew up in a noble family he treated his servants as friends rather than as just someone to talk down to - which is significantly more than what could be said about other nobles that Merlin knew.

"Tomorrow morning I will make an announcement to the villagers. Anyone with any information regarding the Dragon Lord should come forward. I will mention the reward promised by the king. We will return to father with any relevant information." Arthur addressed his knights who all sat around a crackling campfire. "You should all get some sleep. With any luck we ride back to Camelot tomorrow."