A Desperate And Reckless Idea

Merlin didn't sleep a wink. Once he found his way back to camp he slid down the bark of a tree and waited for the others to wake. What was he going to do? He had to convince Arthur not to ask the villagers any questions that would incriminate him or his mother. The people of Ealdor had never been the biggest fans of their family, especially Merlin. Although they might not have known the full truth, they knew he was a bastard and that was enough to make him untrustworthy.

What if he told Arthur the truth? How would he react? As much as he admired Uther, Arthur was not his father. There was a chance he would be understanding, but if he wasn't... It would be suicide.

"Merlin!"

"Huh?"

"What is wrong with you? I've been calling your name for ages!"

"Sorry... I was... thinking." Merlin rose from his spot next to the tree.

"I do remember saying I wanted breakfast bright and early this morning."

"And I want a thousand gold pieces." Merlin was hit in the face by Arthur's rancid boot. "Uggh," Merlin kicked the boot away. "These are gross."

"Maybe if I had a good servant, my things wouldn't be so disgusting!"

Merlin hurried to make breakfast for the prince and his knights. "You admit you're disgusting then?!"

---+---

"Arthur?"

"Mmm?" he answered through a mouthful of porridge.

"What are you planning on asking the villagers today?"

"Well, 19 years ago a knight named Sir Tilian tracked Balinor down to this village. There was a chase and Balinor appeared to die. However, it seems that he was able to fake his death. I want to know how long he was here before Sir Tilian found him. I want to know if anyone helped him."

Merlin swallowed. "I doubt they have any more information."

"Why's that?"

"If Balinor faked his death, he probably did it using magic. What would the villagers know that would help you find a man who escaped with magic?"

"I don't know, Merlin!" He sounded aggravated."I'm not quite sure what we're looking for."

"All I'm saying is that maybe it's not even worth troubling these people. More likely than not they don't know anything about Balinor."

Arthur put down his bowl. "Merlin. I know you're just trying to help but might I remind you about how dangerous this man is. Even if the villagers have useless information it will be more helpful than no information at all."

Merlin sighed as he collected Arthur's empty bowl. "I suppose you're right." His eyes fell on the horses tethered to a nearby tree. Maybe if Arthur was distracted? He could use magic to spook the horses and then... then Arthur and the knights would fetch them and they would head right back to Ealdor.

What if Arthur suddenly became sick? No, he would send the knights to question the villagers in his place. Also, healing magic was not his strong suit. If he made Arthur sick he might not be able to cure him, especially with all the knights watching his every move. He couldn't put Arthur in that kind of danger even if it was to protect his mother. But what if... Merlin knew Arthur cared for him even if he refused to acknowledge it. What if he, Merlin, became ill? What would Arthur do then? Would Arthur abandon the mission to get him back to Gaius? Surely not. What else was he supposed to do?!

"Alright men! Let's go. The sooner we begin the sooner we get back to Camelot."

Merlin was running out of time. At least this might stall Arthur so he could try and think of a better solution. He wracked his brain trying to think of the spell he needed. He faced away from the others and placed a hand on his chest. "Strong ō-stem sweotolian," he whispered. Immediately he felt a wave of nausea overtake him as he stumbled forward. Leon caught him.

"Merlin? Are you alright?"

---+---

"Sire!" Arthur heard Leon shout from behind. He turned to see the knight holding up the pale, barely conscious form of Merlin.

He rushed over. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure! He just collapsed." Leon felt Merlin's forehead. "He's burning up!"

"I- I'm..." Merlin mumbled. He shook uncontrollably.

"Lay him down!" Arthur ordered. Leon gently brought Merlin's head down to the forest floor.

"He was fine just a moment ago!"

"We should take him to Hunith. She'll know what to do." As gently as he could, Arthur scooped up the fragile frame of his servant and made his way toward Hunith's hut. "Leon, come with me. The rest of you, wait here until I return."

---+---

Arthur shifted Merlin in his arms so he could bang on Huniths door. She opened it, her eyes widened as she saw her son. She ushered them inside.

"What happened?"

"We don't know," said sir Leon. "One minute he was fine and the next he collapsed with a fever."

Arthur set him down on the bed. "Do you think you can help him?"

She felt his forehead. "It doesn't seem too serious but I can't be sure." She grabbed a bucket and headed for the door. "We need to keep him cool. I'll fetch some water."

"No, please-" Arthur took the bucket from her. "Let me."

"Thank you," Hunith said as she made her way back to her son's side.

Arthur nodded and quickly left the hut, making his way to the water pump. Many of the villagers looked up as he passed, surprised to see the prince performing such a menial task.

"Excuse me!" A woman stepped in his path. It was the blonde who had been present when he arrived.

Arthur pushed past her. "My apologies but I'm in a bit of a hurry."

"You said yesterday you were looking for someone who passed through here some time ago." She looked around nervously. "Were you talking about... Balinor?"

Arthur looked up in surprise. "Yes. Do you know something?"

The girl nodded in response.

Arthur looked back to Hunith's hut. "Look, I want to hear what you have to say but not now. I need to take care of something first."

The girl continued to nod. "Yes. I'd rather not speak here anyway. I'm not sure everyone here will want me to tell you what I know."

"Of course," Arthur put his hand on her shoulder. "Thank you for coming forward."

She pointed to a hut to their left. "I live there. Come tonight."

"I will." He started making his way back to Merlin.

"Alone," she said.

Arthur smiled and nodded before heading back to the hut with the full bucket.