And We're Off!

As soon as Merlin opened his eyes he bounded out of bed. He raced through the castle halls. For once, he couldn't wait to prepare for one of Arthur's missions. Trekking through the woods with Arthur seemed bearable since he knew his mother would be waiting for him in Ealdor.

Once the horses were saddled and the saddle bags were packed, Merlin picked up the prince's breakfast from the kitchens and headed up to his chambers. He burst through the door.

"Rise and shine!" he said cheerfully. He set the plate down on Arthur's desk and pulled the curtains back.

"Merlin..." his voice was muffled by a pillow.

"Get up! The horses are ready and I've packed several meals-"

Arthur sat up and looked at his manservant. He threw the covers off his legs. "You're smiling too much."

Merlin couldn't help but smile wider.

Arthur rolled his eyes. "Merlin, you have somehow failed to notice this but I am the Prince of Camelot-"

"Really? You're right I never noticed."

"Which means you can't tell me what to do."

"It's not my fault you listen to reason." He pulled a red tunic over Arthur's chest and ran back to the wardrobe to find some trousers.

"I know you're excited Merlin," Arthur said. "But remember the real mission: The Dragon Lord."

Merlin's smile faltered. "Right." He brought Arthur his trousers. "If we find the Dragon Lord, what are you going to do?"

"My father wants him alive, initially at least," he glanced at Merlin. "But eventually..." he trailed off.

"He will be executed," Merlin finished for him. He frowned. Balinor was no different than him or Gaius. A man trying to survive in a world where being himself is considered a sin.

"I don't like it either Merlin but I trust my father and you should too. This man we are looking for is dangerous."

Merlin nodded. "Of course." Silently he promised to do anything he could to sabotage this cruel mission.

---+---

Merlin knelt down and helped Arthur mount his horse. His crimson cape dragged across his face as Arthur used his kneeling form as a stool. Sir Leon led his horse up next to Arthur's and nodded.

Arthur acknowledged him. "Sir Leon," he said.

"Good morning Sire. If we ride hard and fast we might be able to reach Ealdor by nightfall."

"Then we better get going. Hurry up Merlin!"

Merlin rolled his eyes and hopped on his own horse. He heard a shout from across the courtyard.

"Merlin!" He watched as Gaius made his way down the steps of the citadel. He rushed over to Merlin's horse.

Arthur and his six knights were already trotting towards the gate. "Come on Merlin or we're leaving without you!"

"Mer-" Merlin watched the old man approach out of breath.

"Gaius I have to go!"

"No Merlin wait! There's something I have to tell you."

"MERLIN!!!" Arthur bellowed from the gate.

"Gaius I don't have time." He smiled at his guardian. "Don't worry. I won't let them find Balinor." Merlin clicked his tongue and his horse happily trotted after the others.

"Merlin!" Gaius called in vain after his ward.

"I'll see you in a few days!"