The Bastard Child

Merlin watched as Arthur left the hut with the empty bucket. As hard as it was to believe, his desperate plan was working. For now at least. His mother pulled up a chair beside the bed.

"Sir Leon, I need rosemary. I think Sophia may have some. She lives in a hut at the far side of the village."

"Right away." Leon was gone with a swish of his crimson cape.

"Merlin?" hunith whispered.

"It's okay. I did this. Distraction..." he mumbled.

She held her hand to her mouth. "Merlin! What were you thinking? You can't put yourself in danger just to protect me!"

"I'm fine, mother."

"Merlin, all you've done is made yourself helpless."

"I'm alright. I know how to break it. In mean t- time. We think of something better." He looked into his mother's eyes. "I can't... I can't lose you."

A tear escaped her eye. "I feel as though I've ruined everything for you. I'm a burden."

"N- never. But we have too-"

He was interrupted by the door swinging open. Arthur stumbled in awkwardly, trying to figure out how best to carry the heavy bucket.

"Thank you Prince Arthur." Hunith rose and took the bucket from him. She fetched a weathered cloth and plunged it into the cool water. She laid it gently across Merlin's forehead and felt his flushed cheeks with her fingers. She looked towards Arthur, then Merlin. Merlin knew what she was thinking. How could they get rid of Arthur again?

"Do you have a better idea of what it could be?" Arthur asked.

Hunith shook her head. "It came on suddenly?"

"Yes. Without warning."

"I'm... I'm not sure."

"Alright." He made his way to the door. "I must speak with my men. Be sure to let me know if anything changes."

"I will."

He nodded to Hunith. "Thank you."

After Merlin was sure Arthur was out of earshot, he propped himself up with his elbows.

"Mother, what do I do?" He felt himself shaking and he knew it wasn't from the sickness.

"I... I don't know." She ran her fingers through her hair. "If you told him. What do you think he would do?"

"If I told him what? About my magic?"

"Not necessarily. What if you told him only of your father. Tell him the truth, that you only found out just recently."

Merlin shook his head. "If Uther hunted him down, he already associates the dragon lord's power with magic. Arthur would do the same."

"It seems that Arthur will find out the part I played in Balinor's escape no matter what you do but... you might still be able to be undetected. If I can convince him he's not your father..."

"NO! I can still keep you safe," he said, his voice cracking. "There's a way out! There's always a way out!" He erupted in a fit of coughing.

"Maybe we're catastrophizing. We don't even know if any of the townspeople will give us up, or even if they remember."

Merlin winced. "They certainly remember me..."

"Arthur's distracted for the moment. The best we can do is wait."

"But-"

"When he begins the interrogations, stay by his side. Make them talk around the truth." She stroked his sweaty hair out of his eyes.