Captured Pawn

RUN. ESCAPE. USE MAGIC. HIDE.

A slew of thoughts bombarded Merlin's mind as he witnessed the scene unfold. He watched in slow motion as two reluctant knights took hold of Arthur's arms and forced him to his knees. He struggled, trying to retrieve his sword from his belt, but the knights saw what he was trying to do. His blade was confiscated as well as a few knives and daggers stashed elsewhere on his person. 

Merlin watched as the knights surrounding him cautiously turned and drew their swords. He looked to Leon. Surely the knight would be more loyal to Arthur than to his father. But, no. Although his eyes emulated pity, Leon made his way closer to the warlock, sword drawn, along with his comrades. 

Merlin watched as his mother pushed though villagers and knights alike, trying desperately to reach him. 

"Stop! Stop! Get away from him! He's done nothing! Merlin!"

"And who do we have here?" Uther took a menacing step towards Hunith and grabbed her chin with a gloved hand. 

"He's done nothing! Don't take him, take me!"

"Oh I see..." He laughed. A sound dripping with disgusting malice. "In order for there to be a son there has to first be a mother."

Hunith spat in his face. Uther released her in surprise and staggered backward. 

"Guards!" Hunith was roughly brought to her feet by an armed man.

"You wench! You will respect a king!"

"I'd rather burn in hell than respect a man as vile and corrupt as you!" Hunith's eyes were as sharp as knives, carving gorges into the king. 

Uther stalked up to her and struck her, hard, across the face. Merlin cried out.

"Father, stop! She-" but Arthur's words were cut off as a knight pressed his face into the dirt. 

"You will not speak until we understand the extent of the damage of this enchantment."

Merlin flinched as he felt hands press against his back and shoulders. He felt his magic twist and writhe inside him, wanting to tear through the knights holding him and through the king. The feeling brought him back to when he was little, his magic tied tightly to his emotions. He had always feared his magic lashing out and hurting someone. After he almost killed Old Man Simmons, he hated his magic. He swore he would never use it again. However, the less he used it, the more serious it's out lashes would become. Even though these men served king Uther, he didn't want to hurt them. He held his magic back, keeping it at bay for the time being.

Uther's eyes landed on Merlin. "You." He signaled to the knight holding Hunith. The knight unsheathed a dagger from his belt and held it against her throat. "You will lift whatever spell you've cast on my son or..." the dagger cut slightly into Hunith's neck and a trickle of blood dripped down and stained her shirt. "Your mother dies."

"Please, just let her go. I'll go with you."

"Lift the enchantment boy!"

"Father! There is no-"

"Silence!"

Merlin locked eyes with Arthur, begging him to follow along. "I- I'll lift it. Just please, don't hurt her."

"If any harm comes to my son-"

"No... no... no tricks." He gave an imploring look to Arthur who nodded ever so slightly. Merlin only hoped that he understood what he was trying to do. As much as he knew Arthur wanted to help, he would be no use if Uther believed he was enchanted. "Just please," he stole a quick look towards his mother, "don't hurt her."