The Choice Part Three

Here we are with part three of episode 9. The end is nigh upon us.

A quick recap for those who want it:

The Soviets are aware of something bad that is coming to Hawkins via their spying on Joyce and Will's conversation. Captain Gromeko is frustrated at the lack of information about "Magnusson" and vows to end whatever he is up to.

Reaper, meanwhile, has initiated the next phase of the plan given to him by his leader, Sovran, using the talents and powers of his team to convince the population of Hawkins and the surrounding area to leave via a chemical agent, suggestion and electronic manipulation.

Mike and El return back home with the crystal and silver parts and are greeted by Ted and Karen who stayed up and worried over them. Mike understands their concern and let's it slip that they went to the cabin which raises other concerns, particularly from Karen who decides to ask Ted to talk to their son about sex.

Mike heads down to the basement, drawing out designs and tinkering with the equipment until El comes down and delightfully distracts him.

The Soviets are aware of what Mike is up to in regards to the crystal and have a brief discussion about the American prisoner back in Kamchatka and his abilities to peek into future events. It is revealed that the people of Hawkins are acting strangely and Gromeko wants it investigated while they still search for Dimitry who is being held by Reaper.

Reaper discusses the threat to the US with Inferno and that failure would lead to the country's destruction. He calls for Psi, who manipulates emotions, to help interrogate Dimitry and thus ends the chapter.

Let's begin!

_____________________

December 22, 1987 US Route 27, Indiana about two hours from Hawkins

Joyce traveled at a steady clip, the first rays of light peaking from behind the darkened clouds that hovered above in the morning sky.

Her eyes took a quick glimpse into the rear view mirror, spying Jonathan's car a short distance behind them.

Traffic heading north had been light and the PI wasn't too surprised. 27 wasn't as heavily traveled as the interstate highways and she could pace herself better when she wasn't being tailgated by impatient commuters with a lead foot.

Her focus back on the road, she spied movement up ahead, noting a line of cars heading south and at first she thought nothing of it, but then cars never stopped coming, the traffic growing heavier,condensed and constant and her brow furrowed.

This wasn't normal. Especially on a lightly used two lane highway.

"That's a lot of cars all going in one direction."

Joyce turned briefly to look at Murray before training her eyes back on the road. "It is... and it just keeps going on and on. Like they're fleeing from somewhere."

She shifted her gaze to her left, catching glimpses of the various passengers, eyes widening in sudden recognition and she balked, looking out her side mirror in reflex.

Murray caught Joyce's expression and reaction, leaning forward to try and see what had caused it. "What is it, Joyce?"

"I thought I saw someone I know."