Chapter 3 - "Rum And Raisin"

As the weather grew colder and Halloween approached, Rose was glad to find that her Transfiguration classes seemed easier and easier. She still wasn't quite up to getting Acceptable on every essay, but at least she hadn't had a D (for Dreadful) in weeks.

It seemed that James Potter was indeed one of McGonagall's best students, and he was a good teacher too. Over the weeks, despite their House and pranking rivalries they had issued a sort of unspoken truce between them and their respective friend groups.

Most surprising however, was that secretly, both had begun to consider the other a friend.

It was a Thursday evening and drizzling outside when James and Rose were ordered out of the library by an irate Madam Pince after laughing too loudly, a stark contrast to their first meeting almost two months ago when although it was chilly, the sun had still been out and shining through the window.

Still laughing, the two began to make their way towards the Great Hall for dinner.

"Look, I know you don't get on with her, but do you have any tips to help me with your sister?" Asked James.

The two hadn't spoken much about Lily. James had respecfully steered mostly clear of the topic until then, since he (and practically everybody in the castle) was aware of their complicated relationship.

Rose sighed. "I don't know. I mean, doesn't she hate you after last year?"

James frowned. "Yeah. She doesn't like Snivellus anymore but still hates me and Sirius for... well, you know."

"Bullying him?"

"I wouldn't exactly call it bullying. The prick deserved it." James protested, albeit slightly uncertainly.
"I've asked Moony what to do, he's friends with her after all. He says to just give her time."

Rose thought for a moment. "He's right. She's had the holidays to mull it over and be angry - and you owe me for that by the way, I was on the receiving end. Now, she doesn't really like you, but she never really did to begin with, so you've not gone backwards at least." She reasoned.
"And now she hates Snape too, so while bullying him more might not help get you on her good side, at least he isn't talking shit about you to her."

Rose frowned at James as he stopped in the Entrance Hall. "What are you doing?"

He screwed up his face, thinking for a moment, then said "Kitchens. I want ice cream. You coming?"

She shrugged. "Ice cream for dinner, why not?"

They changed direction and headed down the corridor that lead to the Slytherin and Hufflepuff common rooms, before taking another that seemed to be a dead end. At least, it would look that way for most - for pranksters and troublemakers finding the kitchens was almost a right of passage.

"Would you like to do the honours?" James gestured to the painting of a bowl of fruit that sat on the wall.

"Why thank you kind Sir." Rose tickled the pear in the fruit bowl. It giggled and then turned into a green doorknob, allowing them to open the door, (in James's case bend down a little to fit through the doorway,) and enter the kitchens.

House-elves scurried around, busy making food, and did not take much notice of the two in search of sugar. They were used to the odd few students coming in for snacks now and again, and were happy to help if needed but mostly left the children to themselves.

James and Rose walked over to the large cupboard in the corner. While some wizards had adopted muggle technology, the Hogwarts kitchens were not so advanced, and the 'fridge' and 'freezer' were enchanted cupboards. Rose had to admit that although it was strange to pull a tub of ice cream out of a cupboard, it did work just as well, and without the cost and complication of keeping any devices running (although she was sure there were spells for that too).