Chapter 26 - "A Matching Pair"

The rest of the month sped by and soon they were well into October. Frost began to coat the grounds each morning, giving a beautiful view, but an unfortunate journey for those who had to venture outside for Herbology or Care of Magical Creatures.

Fortunately for Rose, she only had two Herbology lessons a week, and one was in the afternoon, so she was mostly spared the cold, unlike Tina, who had two lessons of Care on top of that. The greenhouses were also magically kept warm year-round to protect the plants, so the worst part was the hurried walk down there, although not too fast for fear of slipping on the icy pavingstones.

Other than insults he had shot at her in passing, Rose still hadn't managed to talk to Matthew. He seemed to have some strange sense as to when she was near, and would always be with his new Death Eater friends. Regulus was the same. Despite this, Rose kept hoping, partly for Tina's sake, and partly because she found it hard to believe Matthew's loyalties would change so quickly. He was also one of the few people who knew about Rose and James, and surely if he was now 'against her,' so to speak, he would have exposed them by now - unless he was simply biding his time, but that wasn't Matthew's style.

As promised, Rose and Tina had tried on their dresses for Alicia. They had gathered snacks from the kitchen and spent the whole day in the older girls' room, dancing and singing along to music, and trying out different hairstyles and makeup for their dresses, as well as trying on each others clothes - Tina's knee-length summer dress had fit Alicia like a full length one, sending the three of them into fits of laughter. They had also spent some time that weekend finalising the plans for carrying out their prank.

Professor Sprout apparently hadn't noticed the missing fluxweed, so neither Rose nor Tina had received any kind of questioning or punishment for it. Furthermore, they had now completed their potion and it was part way through its required month of stewing, which meant it would finish a few days before Halloween. There was one final ingredient they needed to collect, which they would get closer to the time and add before the prank took place.

Rose hadn't spent much time with James as Halloween approached. They were still patrolling together of course, but outside of that he had his other Head Boy duties, his approaching N.E.W.T.s, the Quidditch Team, and organising the ball to think about, as well as helping the other Marauders with their own Halloween prank.

She was sitting on the Astronomy Tower one night with some Charms homework and a mug of hot chocolate when she felt him sit down beside her.

"Budge over," he said, lifting the blanket on her lap to cover him too, and letting in a rush of cold air in the process. "I saw on the Map you were up here."

"Blanket hog." Rose shoved him gently. "How was your day? And you just had practice right? How was it?"

James sighed. "Well Minnie nearly gave me a detention this morning for not having my homework. I couldn't find it in my bag or in my room when I looked later but I swear I did it! And Quidditch is going alright. The new beaters aren't quite as good as the Prewetts, but we'll get there soon enough. We've still got a couple of weeks till we play Slytherin. Any tips by the way?"

Rose shook her head. "Sorry. Matthew might be the new captain but you know I've barely talked to him or Regulus, and the rest are just brutes." Her nose scrunched in disgust. "I'd watch out though - he's gone for brawn over brain with his new beaters and they'll play dirty. Regulus and Matthew might not, I'm not sure now, and Rivers is alright I think, but Lestrange and Rosier definitely will."

He nodded. "As much as I thought. Thanks though. How was your day? I heard you got a letter this morning," he smirked mischievously.

"Yes, apparently I have a secret admirer," Rose grinned, "he sends me flowers and poetry."