Chapter 21 - "How Many Times?"

To Rose's surprise, Lily elected to join in the shenanigans that became the prank war over the last weeks of summer, and while the two and Euphemia were up against the four Marauders and Fleamont, they more than held their own. Furthermore, without their parents hanging over them, and without the reminders at Hogwarts of days gone by, Rose's relationship with Lily wasn't quite so tense. It wasn't yet what it had been when they were young, but she sometimes found herself sharing a conspiratorial grin with her sister as they carried out a prank on the boys, or having to remind herself why she was angry with her after they had all spent the evening sitting out in the garden, laughing over iced butterbeer.

The August full moon passed, leaving Rose, Lily, and James's parents anxious while the Marauders apparated to the middle of nowhere to let Remus transform without any risk. A few days later, however, spirits were brighter when they celebrated Peter's birthday on the fifteenth.

One day as they traipsed into the kitchen for dinner, the group saw a pile of letters on the table, one addressed to each of them.

"Hogwarts letters! It's about time really," remarked Sirius, passing them out.

Rose's felt a little bulkier than usual, but perhaps the N.E.W.T courses she would be taking required more books or equipment. As she opened the envelope she heard a gasp to her left.

"Oh my- Merlin!"

She turned to see Lily looking down at a shiny red and gold badge in her hand, emblazoned with the words 'Head Girl.'

"Congratulations." Rose gave Lily a small smile and got a wide, slightly stunned one in return.

As the boys congratulated Lily too, James's voice cut in.

"Hey guys, I think there's been a mistake..." He held up a badge almost identical to Lily's, only with the words 'Head Boy' on it.

The group fell silent with shock until Sirius spoke up.

"The shame," he said solemnly. "First Remus becomes a Prefect, and then you go and get Head Boy. Bloody traitors to the cause both of you." Despite his words he was grinning by the end, and then they were all cheering for James too.

Euphemia entered the room at the noise and was overjoyed when she heard the news, also confiding that, "Now you've got the Head Boy and Girl on your side you'll be able to cause even more mischief," which Sirius seemed to quite like the thought of.

Even so, he proclaimed that he, Peter and Rose were the only true prankers left out of the six of them.

"Actually, there might be a slight problem with that." Rose replied, suddenly finding all eyes on her as she looked up.

Wordlessly, she held up the green and silver badge with the 'P' on it and Lily squealed in delight, wrapping her in a tight hug that Rose found wasn't entirely unwelcome.

"No you too!" Sirius groaned, but joined the others as they swarmed Rose to offer congratulations. When she was finally free, she frowned.

"I don't understand though. Prefect badges are awarded in Fifth year and Tatiana Avery is already the female Slytherin Prefect for our year." She fished around in the envelope, pushing aside her book list to pull out a single piece of parchment.

"Here we go." She unfolded it and began to read aloud:

"Dear Miss Evans,
For reasons I shall not disclose, the position of Prefect has become available. In recognition of your exemplary O.W.L results and equally impressive work ethic, I would like to award it to you.
Best wishes,
Albus Dumbledore."