Chapter 39 - "Cheating Is An Integral Part Of Monopoly"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" They all shouted as Lily stepped out of her room.

Lily's hand flew to her chest in shock, but then again she wasn't quite sure why she was surprised, after all it had been quiet - too quiet - when she had woken up.

"Cake for breakfast?" She laughed as they all sat around the low table, upon which rested a large chocolate cake.

"Of course," Rose grinned. "I've been keeping up the tradition over the years, but I thought it was time for you to start again too."

With a chorus of 'Happy Birthday' from the others, Lily blew out her candles and cut the cake.

"What tradition's this then?" Sirius asked through a mouthful. Rose hesitated, but Lily answered.

"Our parents made us eat quite well generally, but on birthdays we were allowed cake for breakfast," she smiled fondly. "Do you remember the time you tried to convince them that since it was always somebody's birthday somewhere that we should be able to have it every breakfast?" She asked Rose.

"Smart," James commented, and Rose laughed.

"Sadly it didn't work - Tuney was very glad about that."

"Have you heard anything from her recently?" Lily asked hopefully.

Rose shook her head. "No, sorry."

Lily's face fell, but thankfully Marlene quickly changed the subject.

"Where did you get this cake from?" She asked as she finished her piece and took a second. "It's amazing!"

The others nodded enthusiastically through mouthfuls, and Rose grinned.

"Why, it was made here at Hogwarts of course, by our very own Peter Pettigrew, Baker extraordinaire."

Peter flushed pink, but looked rather pleased with himself as the group plied him with praises. She and Peter had kept it a secret from the rest, and Rose's only specifications had been to make it big and include as much chocolate as possible. Lily and Rose had always shared their sweet tooth.

It was a Saturday so there were no lessons to go to, but the girls made Lily dress quickly and pulled her out of the room.

"Aren't the boys coming?" Lily asked, as the girls squashed her and themselves into one of the carriages that would take them down to Hogsmeade. There were seven of them in all, crushed together in a laughing pile of limbs.

"Nope," Dorcas said from beneath Marlene, "just us girls for now."

The others all grinned.

°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°

The morning was filled with shopping and giggles and gossip. They had their nails done at the small salon in the village too, before settling down for a pint of Butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks.

Rose had her back to the door, but knew when the Marauders walked in because she saw Cara's face light up opposite her, as the Hufflepuff girl spotted Peter.

James slid into a chair between the two Evans sisters and greeted Rose with a kiss.

"Did you get the-"

"-Yep," he nodded.

"And the-"

"-That too."

She grinned, as Lily peered over at them suspiciously.

"What are you getting exactly?"

"Oh you know... stuff," he said airily, and Lily sighed.

"Worth a try," she muttered. "Although there'd better not be any alcohol. Not after last time." She narrowed her eyes at James, then Sirius, who held his hands up.