Chapter 2: The Prince

(Y/n's POV)

I opened my eyes to see crimson red eyes staring into mine. The Prince looked pissed, but not hostile anymore.

"What do you have to say for yourself? You better make it quick before I call the guards on you." He grumbled.

"I- u-um..." He raised an eyebrow. "Thank you..."

"Was only stopping some idiot noble from making a scene in the palace... don't thank me when I'm pretty damn set on getting you arrested. Now give me a good excuse on why I shouldn't call the guards right here and now." His voice was getting louder, making me worried he might hurt me.

"I-I... I'm sorry... I wanted to leave... I couldn't... I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me!" I whimpered. His expression softened slightly and he held out a hand for me to take. I stared at it for a second before hesitantly taking it. He pulled me up to my feet and turned away as soon as I could stand.

"I'm assuming you have a home and family to get back to... you better hurry. I won't even take the jewels from you. Enjoy the money, Kitsune." His words surprised me. I blinked a few times in surprise.

"W-what? You're not going to... arrest me..?"

"Why the hell would I do that?" He growled.

"B-because... I stole from the nobles... and infiltrated the palace... I broke the law!"

"Yeah, and what about it? I snuck out of the palace while I should have been getting ready for the ball just to get out of the damn place without permission. We both have done some idiotic shit today. I just don't want to see you back here ever again. If I do, I won't hesitate to get you arrested, got that, Vixen?"

"Nn- y-yes sir..." I nodded quietly before turning to leave. Just as I started to walk off, I heard a loud voice from across the hall.

"Katsuki! What are you doing out here!? You have princesses to dance with!" The female voice yelled.

The prince froze. I whirled around and saw the Queen marching over to us. She grabbed her son and whacked him across the head before noticing me.

"O-oh- ahhh you little rascal! If you had told me you found a pretty girl you liked so much already, I would have let you off the hook!" She grinned and let go of him before walking over to me. "Hello dear, I'm Mitsuki, mother of this brat over here."

It took me a second to realize what she had assumed, and when I did, I felt my face go bright red. "I-I think there was a misunderstanding here-" I glanced at the Prince, who was pale. I looked around frantically for a way to get out of this situation, but I couldn't find one.

"What do you mean, a misunderstanding?"

"I was just- there was a-"

"Yeah, sorry, old hag... I should have told you first..." The Prince spoke up, and I realized that I could not get out of it. I was stuck here, as his assumed favorite 'princess'. "This is-"

"C-Chloe. I'm Chloe..." I recalled the lie I had told the Prince earlier. Was better than saying my real name.

"And what family are you from, dear? And your parents..?" Queen Mitsuki asked. Lies flew through my mind faster than light, and less than three seconds later I was already responding with a lie that no one could see through.

"I'm the Crown Princess of Kyosu, from the continent of Nisé, Your Highness. I was visiting Tairiku already when I heard about the ball, so I came by myself..."

"By yourself? What about your parents?"

"They're... dead." I said softly. It wasn't a lie. I couldn't come up with one, so I might as well tell the truth and not have to come up with a painful story about them being alive.