Chapter 6

Shit.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Shit. Goddamn. Fuck.

What have I gotten myself into? What does he have planned? How did I ignore the part where he asked to push my comfort zone?

Shit. Goddamn. Fuck.

I go to sleep early that night and toss and turn, sleeping, but barely. In the morning, I decide I'm so tired that I'm calling in sick. So to speak.

"You can't cancel on him." Pauline states when I tell her my plan. She's standing at the counter in the kitchen, cutting open a watermelon she bought yesterday.

"I can. I look like shit. I feel like shit. He clearly said he's pushing my limits today, and I don't think I'm prepared for that, so..."

"I really think you should go." She sings. "You might just enjoy yourself."

I shake my head. "He's going to expect me to go hiking and climbing and shit. And he will see what an unadventurous bore I am."

Pauline slams the large knife down on the counter and places her hand to her waist. "Adelaide Mckenzie Matheson." She says sharply to me. I stiffen. "Get your head out of your ass, and go put on some sexy fucking leggings and a flattering hoodie. Put on some light make up and fill a damn water bottle like he told you to."

I take a deep breath.

"Remember what it was like to watch him sing?" She reminds me. I squeeze my legs together. "Remember how it felt when you were with him? All you need is to get your cute butt ready and let him pick you up. You know you'll feel better once you do all that."

I nod slowly. She's right. I didn't want to go out on Tuesday either. But once I was out of the house, I was ready to tackle the night. I think of Dawson, tall and strong, maybe humming a song. A handsome man wants to spend time with me. He wouldn't ask if he wasn't interested. Right?

Pauline's last reminder is what makes me tear up. "He's not Nathan." She comes to me and wraps her arms around me. "I know you've been hurt. Over and over. But it's been months now. It's time."

She's right. She's always right. I hug her tight with a tear trailing down my face. I sniffle and let go of her. I wipe away the tear and look up at her. She gives me an encouraging smile. I take a deep breath, stand up, force a smile, and shake out the emotions. She nods proudly at me, and smacks my butt as I head to my room to get ready.

"Atta girl."

**************

I stare at myself in the mirror moments before Dawson is supposed to be here to pick me up. I did like Pauline said. I put on some light makeup. I put just enough on my eyes to make sure they stand out, reassuring myself that it's waterproof. Pauline put two French braids in my hair, and I kind of look like Lara Croft with my long braids and tight tank top. But it's early April and it will still be sort of chilly, so I zip up a black hooded sweater over top.

The doorbell rings, and Stella runs to the door barking.

"Shh! Stella! No!" I yell at her. I grab her collar, holding her back, and open the door for Dawson.

My breath catches in my throat. He looks even better when I'm completely sober and had some sleep. He stands about a half a foot taller than me. He's wearing a pair of black and neon green runners, a long pair of loose black sweats and a grey tight fitting t-shirt, hugging him in all the right places, accentuating the colourful images covering his skin. He's got a little stubble around his chin and it looks like he's had a haircut. It's shorter on the sides now, left longer on top. He smiles when he sees me, and his eyes get wide with excitement when he sees Stella.