Chapter 26

Previously on The Sound of Me:
For those who have been following along, first of all, THANK YOU!! And I'm sorry for not posting more.
Second, a recap: Adelaide was basically kidnapped by her ex at the bar after her show, he had a gun, threatened to hurt Dawson if she didn't go with him. She made it to the police station and Teller happened to be one of the officers. She tried to see Dawson after but couldn't bring herself to tell him the truth about her past.
__________________

Dawson

She looked hurt when I shut the door in her face. But I gave her a chance to say something and she said nothing. I stand with my back to the door for a while, just willing for her to try again, and have something to say this time. But nothing comes.

Eventually I hear a car door shut outside and the sound of an engine fading away, and I think she's gone. I go to the living room window and look out. Everything is quiet and still.

I'm done with her. I have standards and she didn't meet them. She didn't even try. I needed to be the only person she's involved with, and there's obviously someone else in the picture. She didn't deny it either. But she can't have me if someone is waiting for her somewhere else.

All that time texting and talking to her on the phone when I was up north feels like a waste of damn time. But I enjoyed every minute of it. I loved getting to know her. I loved having her get to know me. I loved sharing music with her. You can really get to know a person by getting to know their music library.

But I don't know her at all.

I think I want to go to the gym. I really want to punch something... but I'm too tired. Even though I know I could use it. But I'm going to save it for tomorrow. As I'm getting into my bed, my phone beeps.

Teller: Hey man, how was the show?

I don't feel like getting into it now, so I can't be bothered to answer.

****************

When I wake up I still don't feel like going to the gym. I roll over and I turn on the TV on the wall across from my bed. After hours of bingeing a comedy and not laughing, I figure I should probably eat something.

I crack an egg into a hot frying pan when there's a knock at the door. I ignore it. I don't want to find out if it's Adelaide.

Whoever it is bangs loudly on the door and rings the doorbell. "Dawson it's me." Teller calls through the door.

I sigh. I'm not in the mood for company. But I flick the lock and he lets himself in while I return to my eggs. He watches me. I point at the pan with the spatula I'm holding. "Want some?"

"Sure." He says. He settles himself on a barstool at my kitchen island. "You never answered me last night. How was the show?"

I muster up some fake enthusiasm. "Oh yeah! The show was great!" I say, cracking his eggs into the pan, not caring that I dropped in some of the shell. "Yeah, real good music. The best part was after, when Adelaide ditched me for another guy."

Teller hardly looks surprised. Asshole. "Really?" He says.

"Then she came knocking at my door at like midnight, for what reason? I don't know. She didn't even have anything to say for herself." I'm talking fast and loud, scrambling the shit out of the eggs in the pan. 

Teller lets out a low whistle and rubs a hand along his chin. "Are you sure that's the case, man? It might not be what you think..?"

I slam the spatula on the counter and turn to him. "I confronted her about the other guy. She didn't deny it."