Chapter Four

The stench of fish ravaged Enola's nose as she walked around the docks with her head held high. This time her outfit allowed her to blend in as nothing but a maid out for her masters supper. No one even spared her a second glance in the rags she wore. Perfect for her detective work. She was determined to find the missing woman even if the pub wasn't a success. Her leads led her here so far and she was giving up even if she had to search through barrels of fish guts. Enola hoped it wouldn't come to that though. 

People were milling about all over the place. there was beggars laying in corners as fisherman ran about jumping onto ships and unloading their bounties. It looked as though it as busy as central London ,just without the horses and their carriages. It was an entirely new experience for Enola. She had never been to a dock before since she was mainly kept at home with her mother till she was 16. Enola remembered when she ran away and met Tewksbury it was amazing, if only she got more time to look at the countryside and what was around her without hiding from a killer. Anyways this place was new to Enola but from books she had read she knew about docks and fishing.

Enola didn't exactly know where to begin but decided to mull around by where some women were gutting some fish. She had to get some more information whilst she still could. This case was slipping through her fingers like sand. Deciding what she had to do Enola gathered her thoughts and made her way over to the table of guts. Remaining under the disguise that she was merely a maid she sat herself down beside a plump woman with a ragged nest of hair.

"Mind if I help. I was sent to get some fish for my master but he thinks it will take me a while so I have time to spare."

"What would you want to help for we won't be paying ya" The ragged woman said in a gravely tone.

"I need to practice. The master hates it when I don't do jobs correctly. Thought if I helped gut the fish it would make me better at it." Enola tried to sound as convincing as possible and flattened her tone. 

"Fine! Take the crap fish we don't want ya messing up the gooden's." 

Hesitantly Enola picked up a knife a copied the motions the woman were going through with her pile of fish. She continued to gut the fish trying hard not to squish up her face at the task. All while listening on the women's conversations. They were enjoying gabbing onto each other and after a while seemed to completely forget Enola existed. Enola wondered if Tewksbury was having a better time than she was. 

Tewksbury was having another boring day until the post came as he was sitting by the fire in the parlour. The butler brought him over his letters along with his letter opening knife. The knife was made of silver and use to be his fathers. It was quiet weighty in his hand as he shifted it between his fingers. What was an easy task soon took a fun turn. Whilst opening his letters his hand slipped and of course he sliced his hand. 

Well lets hope those letters were not important!

He quickly applied pressure and prayed that one of the letters he had ruined wasn't from Enola. He didn't mind if they were from the magistrate. Thankfully a maid was coming to put more coals on the fire and saw the blood that he was ruining the furniture with. He was thankful it wasn't his mother as she would have scowled him for potentially ruining one of her favourite chairs. 

"Oh master here!" The maid said running over to Tewksbury handing him a piece of cloth to stem the blood flow before taking off again to find bandages. 

Tewksbury laughed as he wrapped up his hand thinking about what Enola would have said about his incompetence. He bets she would have found it highly amusing that he couldn't complete the simply task of opening up his own mail. With the cloth secured he looked down to see what he had caused upon the letters. With help from the maid the letters were opened safely this time.

He sighed with relief as he realised that they were just boring letters from the courts talking about meetings he would sadly be forced to attend. He really hated being in the courts now. He thought it would be fun at first to do something that his father had done. In a way he wanted to do it to get a better understanding of his father but now it was more like a chore. Tewksbury now understood why his father had such a love of flowers, Its an escape from the boring paper filled jobs in London. 

Oh how he would love to go back to the market and sell flowers. Then he could always get visits from Enola and give her more a pink roses.