Chapter 6

~ Two months later ~

"Good morning, Ms. Hensley!"

"Hi Jenna. You can call me Avery, you know." I smiled softly at her as I handed her my key card, glancing around.

Jenna giggled. "He and Mr. Hawkins are sparring again this morning."

I nodded my thanks, turning for the locker room, but she called out behind me.

"Wait, Ms. Hens- er, Avery? I'm going out with a friend tonight to the new bar downtown. You're welcome to join us if you want."

I blinked back my shock, clearing my throat. "I have a lot of work to do because our new hotel just opened..." I bit my lip as her face dropped a bit, thought she recovered quickly with a fake smile.

Shit, Aves. This isn't the time to feel bad. There's too much to do... but she looks so sad... and you've never had girlfriends before...

I fidgeted with my gym bag zipper. "Um... if I can slip out before you guys leave, maybe I could come by."

She brightened, nodding enthusiastically. "Okay! Dress hot. Here's my number in case you can't find us!"

Fuck me, do I have to act that cheerful, too? I winced as I took the paper, wondering how she could even have that much energy.

I offered a half-assed smile and shuffled away, making a beeline for the locker room.

"Dude, what the fuck has gotten into you lately? Where's your head at?" Miles' voice was filled with frustration, a loud thump against the mat quickly following his question.

"Leave it alone, Miles." Liam warned, another loud thud sounding before a deep male grunt echoing through the boxing room.

"We need to focus on the fucking case, Hawk. I swear to fucking hell, if you don't get your head on straight, you're going to get someone hurt. Do you need to get laid or something?"

"I said leave it!" Liam growled back, stomping my way as I backed up a few steps, giving him room to pass.

He slowed, confusion and frustration that I couldn't place spreading on his tanned, sweat-covered face as he looked at me. His blue eyes roamed over my face, pausing at my lips and narrowing as they parted. Biting back a curse, he shook his head and forced his body against the men's locker room door, disappearing inside wordlessly.

"Ava?"

I jumped as Miles' voice appeared behind me, his hard body curving around mine as he kissed and nipped my neck. I squealed, laughing as he grinned against my shoulder. Turning, I stood on my tiptoes to look over his shoulder, the boxing bags behind him intriguing me.

He raised a brow. "Wanna learn?"

I grinned mischievously. "It wouldn't hurt your ego if I knew how to protect myself and didn't need you to do it for me?"

He snorted, turning to stalk over to the bag in the back corner, waiting on me to follow.

So was that a no? Or...

He wrapped my hands carefully, his fingertips grazing against my skin leaving a constant trail of goosebumps. I shivered, wishing he'd touch more than my hands and wrists. And of course, he knew what he was doing to me.