Chapter 32

~ Avery's POV ~

"Guys, this is ridiculous!" I stomped angrily through the bedroom, following Liam and Miles at their heels as they made their way through the closet, to the bedside tables, and finally over to the dresser, grabbing each firearm they'd stashed around the house.

I growled, planting myself in the bedroom doorway. "Someone tell me something. Anything!"

"Jenna has a sister and Tex is using her to get through... to you." Miles finally explained, his hands on his hips as he stared back at me, emotions racing across his face.

I found myself searching for breath - for resolve - praying to figure out any way that I could help.

"Don't even think about it, brat. Not this time. You're going back to the bureau and will stay there where you'll be safe." Liam scowled down at me as he read my mind, stepping forward and lifting a finger to my chin, raising my face to his.

Dancing with my own, his lips were soft, but strong. Needing more to fill the ever-growing ache of uncertainty raging through me, I reached for Miles, pulling him around and holding him tight at my side, desperate for their warmth to surround me.

"I can't lose you." I whispered softly to them, clutching my fists in their shirts, morphing myself into their chests.

The doorbell sounded below, my nerves heightened at the unexpected visitor.

Miles nodded above my head to Liam, who returned the gesture and stepped away and out of the room, heading for the door.

"Baby. Hey, look at me. You're shaking." Miles' voice was filled with worry, his strong arms turning me and encompassing me, his hands rubbing at my back in soothing circles.

I shook my head in a failed attempt to think properly. "No shit I'm shaking, Miles! You two are about to go off and maybe get yourselves-" a flinch silenced me immediately, my body shuddering as the arms around me tightened.

"What if you don't come back to me?" The words fell out of my mouth in a waterfall of despair, terror enveloping my sanity before I could even attempt to get a handle on it.

"I'll always come back to you, love. We both will. You can't get rid of us that easily."

My heartbeat quickened and my teeth chewed at my lower lip. "Promise me."

His hesitation shook me. The unadulterated fear in my body snapped my mind back to reality - the reality that Tex had had years to prepare himself for anything and everything, while Miles and Liam had only had mere months back together to be ready.

Miles wouldn't give me his promise - he couldn't. He couldn't know for sure he'd come back unscathed, but I knew he'd do everything he could to try. As would Liam.

"Miles, you better come back to me. I love you." The words left my mouth before I even knew they were there - the ones I'd said a million times before now felt like a last admission, my body aching to seal them.

Before he could respond, I looped a hand around his neck and lifted myself, my legs wrapping around his waist. Groaning against my mouth, his surprise was evident, though he took control immediately, needing the intimacy as much as I did.

Set back on my feet and spun, my chest was pressed firmly against the wall, leggings ripped open in the same moment. With a jerk of his belt, Miles rubbed the head of his cock against my core, my needy arousal already coating my folds.

Biting off a curse, he pressed inside. His hands gripped at my hips as he thrust in, fucking me to a fast-approaching, adrenaline-filled climax.

I screamed his name, needing a little bit more to get to my orgasm, but he had other plans. Just before I could reach the edge, he slowed his movements, pulling out despite my protests and turning me. Lifting me quickly, he crossed the room to lay me gently on the center of the bed, crawling over top of me a moment later.