Episode 7

<the next day> <Monday>

<<no pov>>

"So you're not gonna tell him?" Lane questioned. She and Rory were walking to school together.

"No he'll just get mad." Rory replied.

"I thought you two agreed on no more secrets just last night? You know it's always and endless cycle between you two. One of you lies or keeps a secret from the other, then you guys fight over it, vow to never lie or keep secrets again, then one of you breaks the vow and the cycle repeats." Lane chuckled.

Rory shrugged. "That's just how we are."

<the intro cuts in>

While at her locker, Rory felt arms wrap around her waist. She managed a small smile and grabbed his hands and turned around.

"What's wrong?" He asked. Rory glanced around anxiously. "Can we talk?" She said.

The two of them walked into an empty classroom. Rory shut the door behind them so that their conversation could be more private.

"Okay, wow," Rory said as she began walking around the room, fidgeting with her hands. "I had rehearsed all of what I was going to say to you and it was perfect, but now my mind is completely blank and-"

"Rory, slow down." Dean said softly as he inched towards her and held her hands. "You can tell me anything." Dean said. "You know that." He smiled.

Rory took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She closed her eyes and nodded before opening them up and backing away from him. She continued to walk around the room again, but with a calmer pace.

"So you know when I told you yesterday about Zach keeping something from me? Well what it was was that I thought it was strange that Luke's sister was at Luke and my mom's wedding but her son wasn't and so out of curiosity I asked and it turned out Zach knew why and was keeping it from me-"

"Wait what was it that you found out?" Dean asked.

Rory sighed. "You have to promise me you won't tell anyone. The only other person I've told is Lane."

Dean nodded. "I promise."

Rory hesitated a moment before saying, "Jess went to Juvie."

Dean raised a brow but before he could say anything Rory continued.

"So after that I ran off and I went to the gazebo. I was upset and then Jess was there and then...and then he kissed me."

"He kissed you?" Dean said in a tone that made it difficult for Rory to tell if he was mad or didn't care.

"I know I should've told you sooner."

"Well you're telling me now aren't you?" He smiled unexpectedly.

"Yes but its more than that."

Dean gave her a confused look before he realized.

"You're into him, aren't you?"

Rory nodded. "I think so." She answered as she folded her arms across her chest.

She expected him to storm out of the room but he just stood there staring at her with sad eyes.

(Zoey) "What happened last night?" Taylor asked.

"Something with my mom. I don't really want to talk about it right now." Zoey replied.

After a moment she shut her locker and turned to Taylor.

"I just needed to get out of that house."

Taylor nodded then pulled Zoey into a hug.

(Zach) He was walking to class when he spotted Dean. At first glance nothing seemed wrong until Zach glanced again and noticed his eyes which seemed lost.

He reached out and grabbed Dean's wrist.

"Hey. You okay?" Zach asked genuinely concerned for his friend. A smile quickly appeared on Dean's face.

"I'm fine."

"Something's bothering you I can tell."

Dean shrugged. "Rory told me about what happened the other night." He replied in an annoyance.

From the way his best friend spoke to him he couldn't help but think he was mad at him.

"Are you mad at me for keeping something from her? Because I apologized and she forgave me so I just thought we were-"

Dean's brows furrowed in confusion as Zach spoke.

"No no, I'm not mad at you. I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just a little upset that's all." Dean frowned.

Now Zach was looking at him confused.

"Upset about what?"

Dean cocked his head. "Did she not tell you she and Jess kissed?"

"What?" Zach said in a stern voice.

Dean scoffed as Zach tried to walk away to go find his sister. Dean grabbed him by his arm and pushed him against a wall. Zach resisted, but Dean pushed his hand against Zach's chest.

"You and Rory have got to stop this! All you do is lie to each other repeatedly and both of you always end up getting hurt!" Dean practically yelled. "I get that you're trying to protect her from all the bad things this world may throw at her, but how is she supposed to protect herself if you're the one protecting her all the time? How else she going to learn to deal with heartbreak if you keep trying to protect her from it? How else is she going to learn how to differentiate between how she feels and how she doesn't want you to feel just because she did something or feels a certain way that you don't agree with?" Dean concluded.

Zach and Dean hadn't really known each other for too long now so maybe it wasn't Dean's place to be telling Zach off about how he treats his sister. Though, that didn't matter because Zach knew he was right.

Zach shoved Dean's hand off his chest. He drew a breath and looked up at his best friend.

"Are you okay?" Zach asked him, referring to his and Rory's breakup.

"I will be." He answered.

<after school>

(Rory) Rory sat on her bed doing homework when she heard a knock. The door clicked open and she saw her brother standing in the door way.

"Uh hey. Can we talk?" He asked.

"Yeah sure." She replied. She pushed her schoolwork to the side so her brother could sit.

"Dean told me what happened between and Jess the other night at the gazebo." He spoke softly.

"Zach I'm sorry-"

"Do you like him?"

She shrugged. "I think so."

"Okay." Was all Zach said before getting up to leave.

"That's it? You're not mad?"

He turned around and shook his head.

"It's your life." He said. "I can't control everything."

<<no pov>>

Lorelai was just about to go upstairs to go to bed when there was a knock at the door. She made her way to the front door with a confused look on her face. When she opened the door she stood there surprised.

"Christopher..." she muttered in astonishment.