Episode 9

<1 1/2 months later> <Day before      Thanksgiving> (Rory has the necklace on that Jess gave her)

It's 8:30pm and Zach and Rory were sitting on the couch comfortably while Luke and Lorelai are cuddled up on a love seat with Paul Anka.

"So what movie did you pick?" Lorelai asked in her Lorelai excited voice, turning to Zach.

"The Breakfast Club." Zach grinned.

"Again?" Rory and Lorelai questioned as this was the third time Zach had picked this movie for movie night.

"What? It's a great movie."

"I agree." Luke said in his Luke voice. They all sat back as the movie started

<intro cuts in>

<The next day> <Emily and Richard's house>

They pulled into the driveway and Lorelai let out a sigh as she got out of the car. Everyone else got out and Luke and Lorelai interlocked hands and the four of them stood in doorway.

Deep down they were all dreading the night that awaits. Hesitating, Lorelai reached for the doorbell and pushed it causing a ringing sound to echo from inside the house.

In seconds the door opened and they were greeted by the maid.

"Hi" Lorelai said cheerfully as she walked forward into the warm house. As the maid began to take their coats, Emily came graciously walking down the hallway.    

"Lorelai! How wonderful to see you!" She said cheerfully.

"Hi mom." She replied in her Lorelai tone before being pulled into a brief hug.

Emily's mouth opened at the sight of Zach and Rory.

"Oh my goodness you've grown taller! Both of you!"

"Hi grandma." Rory said as she hugged her grandmother. Emily then hugged Zach then finally greeted Luke before she led them into the living room.

Lorelai, Luke, and Emily sat on the sofa in opposite of Zach and Rory. Richard soon entered the room.

"Hi dad." Lorelai stood up and hugged her father. After they pulled away he turned around and hugged Rory.

"Hi grandpa."

"Hello Rory." Richard replied, smiling down at her.

"Don't they look so much taller Richard?" Emily mentioned.

"Yes yes I see that." He said as he surveyed his two grandchildren standing in front of him. He hugged Zach then turned to Luke. Luke stood up and they shook hands, returning each other's smiles.

Before sitting down in a chair at the end that was between the two end tables, Richard stood back up on his feet.

"Almost forgot the cocktails." Richard stood up and after a few moments he came back with a tray of four cocktails and two two sodas.

"Oh Richard you didn't have to get that you could've had one of the maids bring it."

"It's fine Emily I am fully capable of doing it myself."

"Alright" She replied.

"So Rory how's school going?" Richard asked.

Rory smiled. "Good."

"And you Zach?" He asked, turning his head towards Zach.

"Also good."

"You two are awfully quiet." Emily observed.

"So how's work dad?" Lorelai asked.         

"It's quite fine, thank you for asking. How's that hotel of yours?" He questioned.

"The Inn is great dad." She corrected him.

"Uh Luke How's that diner of yours?" He asked looking in Luke's direction.              

"Good. Busy as usual." Richard just nodded. Then the maid entered the room.

"Dinner is ready Mr and Mrs. Gilmore."

Emily smiled. "Thank you Berta." The maid nodded and left the room to go help bring out the food.

The six of them made there way into the kitchen and sat at their usual seats. As they began eating Richard turned to Zach.    

"So Zach, are you seeing anyone?"          

"Richard." Emily said in her tone.             

"What? A boy his age is bound to be seeing someone." He turned back to Zach.      

"Uh yeah actually. Her name is Zoey."      

Richard and Emily both raised a brow. Lorelai looked sorrowfully at Rory as she knew she was thinking of Dean. Emily turned to Rory with a cheerful smile.

"So how's that boyfriend of yours?" 

Rory's smile then faded.

"Uh actually Dean and I broke up."

Emily and Richard shared the same surprised reaction.

"Oh well that's too bad." Was all Richard said.

"It's fine." Rory replied. She turned her head towards Zach who was already looking at her sharing the same glum expression on his face. The rest of the night was peaceful for once. No fights or anything.

Lorelai noticed Rory still seemed sad from the mention of Dean. Rory hasn't talked about him since the week of the break up. He comes over still to hangout with Zach but he and Zach usually hung out at Dean's.

"You okay hon?" Lorelai asked.

"Yeah I just want to go home."

The four of them got into the jeep.

"No fights?" Luke seemed just as surprised as the rest of them.

"No fights." Lorelai said in her cheerful voice.

As they pulled up to the house they noticed Christopher sitting on the porch steps. Zach scoffed and got out of the car before the car came to a full stop.

"Oh boy." Luke muttered.

Zach marched angrily up to his father.    

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Zach shouted as the other three got out of the car and rushed over to them. Christopher was taken aback.

"I mean you come here after two years, then after a week you come up with yet another excuse and suddenly you're back after a month with open arms?!"   Zach yelled at his father again on the verge of tears. Luke grabbed a hold of Zach and brought him inside.

"You need to calm down." He told Zach.

"But he-"

"I know but that's just how he is."

Zach sighed. "I-it's not fair." Zach said said lowly with a sorrowful expression. He turned around and ran upstairs to his room.

<the next day>

(Zach) Zach was going on a walk to blow off some steam and as he walked he saw Zoey talking with Taylor and a few other girls from their school by the gazebo. She spotted him and excused herself from her group and ran over to him. She stood on her toes and pressed her lips against his. He tilted his head down and kissed back. After they pulled away she noticed something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

Zach shook his head grinning. "It's nothing."

"Oh so you can say it's nothing and I can't?" Zoey joked. She frowned when Zach didn't smile. "It's not nothing, Zach. You can tell me anything you know that."

Zach closed his eyes and let out a sigh before opening them.

"My dad came back yesterday." Zach said, clearly annoyed.

"What?" She said sounding surprised.        

They walked over and sat down on a bench.

"It's always the same thing. He shows up out of nowhere, makes us think he's here for good, and then he always makes up some excuse to leave us again. Though this time he came back."

"Maybe that means things will be different." She suggested. Zach scoffed and chuckled.

"Yeah no. I don't believe that for a second."

Zoey interlocked their hands stood up. Zach gave her a confused look.

"Come on" She said, pulling Zach's arm.

"Where are we going?" He chuckled as she dragged him towards the path that led them to the bridge by the lake. "What are we doing here?" He asked.

She grinned as she began to pull off her sweater.

"What on earth are you doing?" He questioned, looked at her like she was crazy.

She pulled off her leggings and jumped into the freezing water. Zach shook his head.

"You're crazy." He shouted.

She giggled. "Your turn!" She shouted.

Zach hesitated before pulling off his sweatshirt and his short sleeved shirt underneath then after that his sweatpants.

He jumped into the water and swam to her.

"Hi." She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him into a kiss. He smiled to himself and kissed her back. They kissed again before Zach began making his way down to her neck. She bit her lip and giggled before pulling his head back.

"I think we should wait to do that when we aren't freezing our asses off."

Zach rolled his eyes playfully. "You're the one who jumped in in the first place!" He chuckled.

"You jumped in too!"

He then splashed her and she splashed him back. Zach then began to chase after her.

<Rory is sitting outside with Christopher on the bench in front of the living room window as they talk>

"So last I heard you started dating this boy." He said with a grin.

"Dean. But we're not together anymore."   

"That's too bad I would've liked to have met him." He said genuinely. Christopher then saw Zach walking towards the house.

"Hey kiddo!" He hollered at him with a grin. Zach rolled his eyes.

"Why's you hair all wet?" Rory asked.

"I went for a swim."

Rory chuckled. "You're joking."

"Nope." He responded coldly as he walked up the stairs.

"Hey why don't you come sit with us?" Christopher said.

"No thanks." He replied in the same cold tone as he reached for the door handle.        

"Come on Zach." Rory insisted. Zach sighed and hesitated before he made his way over to them. He folded his arms over his chest then leaned against the house.

"So how's school?" Christopher asked.       

"Good" He replied dryly.

"Word has it you have a girlfriend?"         

"Yeah I do. Her name is Zoey. Can I go now?" Zach asked turning to Rory, eager to escape conversation. He began to tense up.

"What is your deal? He's just trying to make conversation."

Zach stared at his sister for a moment then at his father before walking away and going inside not wanting to cause a scene.