Episode 8

<a week later> <Rory and Zach's birthday>

(Zach) Zach was at Dean's house in the backyard throwing a football back and forth as they talked.

"I'm sorry I can't make it to your party tonight. It would feel weird if I was there...ya know." Dean said apologetically.

"Yeah no I get it." Zach replied.

There was a short pause before Dean spoke.

"So, your dad is sticking around this time?" Dean asked, changing the subject.

"Not sure." Zach sighed. "He'll probably stay for tonight then bail."

"Who knows. Maybe he'll surprise you."   

"Or maybe he'll just leave like always."

<< The camera zoomed out on them as they continued to throw the football. The intro cuts in >>

<6pm> <birthday party>

The living room was crowded as it was filled with their mom's closest friends to which Rory and Zach also get along with. Lane, Rory, and Zach sat listening to one of Babette's crazy stories. Then there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it." Rory said as she got up from the couch. She walked to the front door and opened it to see Jess standing there with his hands in his coat pockets.

"Hey." Rory smiled

"Nice party you got here." He stated.  

"Thanks." Rory stated uncertainly.

"Oh and uh happy birthday," He said as he pulled out a small red box with a bow on in. He handed it to her.

"What's this?" She asked curiously.  

"Open it." He grinned.

She took the box and proceeded to open it. Inside was a silver necklace with the initials 'RG'. (Italics)

She shook her head and looked up at him. "You didn't have to."

He shrugged. "I wanted to."

Rory continued to smile at him.

"Do you want to come in?" She offered.

"Oh uh no thanks." He answered quickly. "I just wanted to give you that and wish you a happy birthday."

"Well thank you."

He nodded then turned around and started down the steps. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it as he disappeared down the path.

Rory turned back into the house and shut the door.

"Who was that?" Lane asked.

"Jess." Rory blushed.

"And he gave you that?" Lane said, nodding her head at the open box.

Just then Lorelai came out with the cake. Rory closed the box and the two of them hurried into the living room and took a seat by Zach. Christopher came in behind Lorelai with two gifts.

(Zoey) Zoey was in Taylor's room painting Taylor's nails.

"So why aren't you at your boyfriend's party?" Taylor asked.

Zoey remained silent.

"Zoey?"

"What was that?" Zoey said, snapping out of her thoughts.

"I asked you why you aren't at Zach's party. Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine."

"That sounded convincing." Taylor said sarcastically.

There was a pause.

"Is this about your parents?" Taylor asked.

"Maybe."

"How long have they been like this?"

Zoey shrugged. "Almost a year. My mom thought coming here and getting a fresh start would fix everything. She was wrong."

"Have they tried counciling?"

Zoey shook her head. "My dad has suggested it and every time it ends in the same argument. With my mom saying it won't work and my dad saying we'll never know unless we try." She told her. "They fight so much they sometimes don't even realize I'm gone."