Episode 11

<Friday> <Game day>

"Big game today!" Dean exclaimed as he shook Zach's shoulders then landed his back gently against the lockers. "How do you feel?" He asked.

"Nervous." Zach replied anxiously.    

"Don't worry you're gonna do great!" Dean assured him.

Dean glanced over at Rory and Lane.      

"So have you talked to Rory?" Dean asked turning his head back to Zach. Zach sighed. "Sore subject, got it."

<Intro cuts in>

The camera appears over the football field. Cheerleaders waving pom poems and the marching ban, which Lane is in, are banging their drums. Zoey and Rory walk together on the field towards Zach.

"Hey." He smiles at Zoey. "What's with the camera?" He asked as he noticed the camera hanging around her neck.

Zoey shrugged "I liked taking pictures and Taylor suggested I join Yearbook."

"Cool." He said, continuing to smile at her.

"Well good luck." Zoey said then placed a kiss on his cheek.

"Thanks. Oh and meet me after the game?"

Zoey nodded and stepped back a little as Rory walked up to Zach and hugged him.

"Good luck." Was all she said before pulling away quickly.

Rory walked back to the bleachers and sat next to Lorelai and Luke. Then she noticed Christopher wasn't there.

"Mom, where's dad?" Rory asked.

"I don't know, hon I know he said he'd be here."

"Oh." Rory frowned.

"He's probably just running late." Luke tried to reassure them. Luke knew what kind of person Christopher was. Even though he would rather Zach and Rory stay away from him, he still doesn't think it's his place.

<the game begins>

The scoreboard was 4 to 3 and Stars Hollow High was losing. Chris had finally showed up and sat next to Rory.

"So sorry I'm late." Chris apologized.

"It's okay." Rory smiled, thinking maybe things were going to be different this time and that Zach was wrong this time.

It was nearing the end of the final quarter and the score was currently tied 4 to 4. 10 seconds were remaining and Zach was running with the football in his hands. Suddenly, it began to snow. Lorelai smiled as Zach made the final winning touch down with 2 seconds remaining. Everyone stood up from the bleachers and began cheering.

"Good things always happen when it snows." Lorelai pointed out. Luke just smiled at her.

<after the game>

Lane had changed back into her regular clothes and the team was talking with the other team as they congratulated them.

(Zoey) Rory's family had gotten down from the bleachers and made their way out of the crowd. Then Lorelai approached Zoey as she came out behind them from the field.

"Hi you must be Zoey, Zach's new girlfriend." She greeted her.

Zoey smiled.   

"That I am."

"It's so nice to finally meet you!"

"It's nice to finally meet you, too." Zoey smiled.

Then Rory and Lane walked up to them.  

"Hey mom we're gonna go on to Luke's."   

"Okay hon we'll meet you there."

(Rory) Rory and Lane walked out the exit and Rory stopped when she saw Jess standing in front of them with his hands in his jacket pocket.

"Can we talk?" Jess said wistfully.

"I'll meet you at Luke's." Lane told Rory, sensing the tension between them. Rory nodded and Lane went on.

"I didn't know you were such a huge fan of high school football." Rory said as she crossed her arms and stepped closer to Jess.

"What can I say I'm full of surprises." Jess replied with a smirk.

"So what did you want to talk about?"     

"I see you're wearing the necklace I gave you." He stated, ignoring the question. Rory grasped the necklace with her hand and began to fiddle with it. She took a deep breath. 

"Jess." She said, starting to get a little annoyed.

Jess sighed. "I like you, Rory." He said.. Rory fell silent. "I feel something between us and you do too, I know you do!" Jess said sounding confident in what he was saying.    

"So?" Jess asked.

"So what?"

"Will you let me take you out?"

"Take me out where?" Rory asked sounding a little flustered.

"The formal. Let me take you to the winter formal."

Rory thought a moment. "Okay." She  responded.

"Okay?" Jess confirmed.     

"Okay, yes, I'll go to the formal with you."

Jess smiled. "Okay then." He said. He slowly turned away and walked away. The smile still plastered on his face.

Rory then found herself smiling because of him.

(Zach) He finally came out of the showers hoping Zoey would still be there. He noticed everyone was gone as he ran towards the entrance and there she was. He ran towards her and only stopped when their faces were inches apart making Zoey blush.

"Zoey Summers," he began sounding out of breath. "Will you go to the winter formal with me?"

She smiled and kissed him quickly. "Does that answer your question?" She smirked. Zach had the biggest grin on his face.

"I didn't quite catch that I think you're gonna have to repeat."

She cupped his face and kissed him again.

<at home>

Luke, Christopher, Rory, Lane, and Zach filled the living room as Lorelai brought out a white frosted cake with congratulations champ written in cursive in orange across a football.

She set the cake on the table and everyone cut a piece. Rory took her piece to her room to finish it. She put the plate at the end of her bed and grabbed a book she had been reading off the nightstand. She took the bookmark out at she sat up against the headboard and put her knees up.

<Lane and Zach talking>

"Zach?" Lane asked quietly.

"Hm?" Zach sounded as he swallowed his last piece of cake.

"Are you and Rory ever gonna talk?" She asked. Zach sighed and put his plate on the table. "You can't avoid her forever. I know you two had a disagreement and some things (italics) were mentioned..." "But you two are the best of friends when you aren't at each other's throats."

Zach frowned. She playfully nudged his shoulder. "And I can't have my two best friends fighting." She said in her Lane voice, trying to persuade him. Zach looked up into her eyes and a smile cornered at his lips.

Christopher overheard. He stood up and walked towards Rory's room and knocked. Rory heard a knock at her door and she looked up as it clicked open and saw Christopher.

"Can I come in?" He asked, with a grin.

Rory nodded as she placed the bookmark in, shut her book, and put the book down next to her.

Christopher pushed the plate forward and sat down.

"Are you and Zach okay?" He asked worriedly.

"Yeah we're fine." Rory lied while faking a smile.

"Are you sure? Because if you two were I'd think you'd be out there celebrating with him."          

Rory frowned as Christopher got up and left the room knowing he was right.

Instead, Rory picked her book back up and began reading where she left off.