Chapter 1 Start of another war

Republic of China 1951

It is 1951, Zhongguo is rebuilding after the War of Resistance with the Japanese and the Civil War against the Communists. Despite the Republic of China's triumph over the Communist threat since 1949, it came at a great cost to the lives of the brave soldiers and civilians who aided in the country's defense. The Kuomintang's influence was weakened and fears of another Communist uprising stuck in the minds of the common civilian to the Kuomintang party officials. To combat this, Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek first put the entire country into martial law and increased the Central Bureau of Investigation and Statistics (CBIS) activity in the country. But the corruption plaguing the country has yet to be rooted and the suffering of the peasants endured since the end of the Qing dynasty. On top of that, another enemy has emerged, not outside or a part of Zhongguo, but in the heart of it.

March 3rd, 1951, Nanjing, the capital of the Republic of China, 8:00 AM

It's almost time for my shift for guard duty at the Nanjing Naval Yard. I put on my Sam Browne belt, M35 helmet, and slid my M1911 in my holster. With my MP18 and Dadao on my back, I walked out the door of my home and began marching to my destination. There was a crowd blocking my way, so I quickly made my way through the crowd to find several machine gun emplacements, barbed wire setup, military police, and civilian police, weapons were drawn and aimed at a structure. I turned to an MP to ask what the hell is happening.

Y/N: Sir, what is going on here? What's all the commotion?

NRA MP 1: Oh Lieutenant Y/N, you're just on time. We received reports of that structure and came to investigate 2 hours ago. We surrounded the perimeter with standard fortifications, but if something about that structure is more sinister, we may not survive and the capital will be in danger.

I turned to see an army march out of the unknown structure. Soldiers wearing steel armor with swords, spears, and bows. Their armor or weapons look nothing like the ones the ancient imperial soldiers wore. Every machine-gunner aimed their Type 24 machine guns at the unknown army and all soldiers, MPs, and police officers chambered a round in their Type 24 rifles.

Y/N: I don't think our defenses will hold, we must mobilize more manpower here! Is there a radio here?

NRA MP 1: Yes, there's a radio on that table.

I ran to the radio and began contacting headquarters.

Y/N: HQ, this is Lieutenant Y/N, there is an unknown army marching out of this building, we need more troops and armored support. If our defenses have been broken, the whole capital will be in danger!

Radio operator: Copy that, relaying this to General Yingqin. Hold out while you can and evacuate all civilians from the area.

Y/N: On it!

I looked up to hear the air raid sirens blare. The crowd all with concerned looks are talking to one another. One civilian finally spoke out to me.

Civilian 1: What is going on? Why are the air raid sirens on?

Y/N: I don't know who or what they are, but you all must evacuate the city, tell everyone that their lives are at stake and they need to evacuate the city. This is an order from the Nanjing Military Headquarters for your safety!

The crowd immediately turned tail and ran. I took out my MP18 and pulled the bolt back.

Y/N: Everyone, not one step back! Focus fire, and remember, we are the only defense between the capital and the people. Hold out until reinforcements arrive, Nanjing will not fall again!

Everyone took cover behind sandbags, ready to fire on my order. A war horn sounded and we were met with a shower of arrows, injuring a few soldiers. The cavalry forces charged only to drop by machine gunfire. Instead of aiming at the riders, I aimed at the horses.