GATE: Thus the National Protection Army fought there

GATE: Thus the NPA fought there

(Based off Hearts of Iron 4: The New Order Mod)

After 4 years of fighting the Great Asian War, Long Yun's National Protection Army rose victorious against the Japanese imperialists and the Hanjians*. No one was spared from Long Yun's insanity combined with his iron-fisted rule and control. Billions of civilians were either killed by the NPA or starved to death. The President of the Republic of China, Gao Zongwu and all of the Legislation Yuan were all imprisoned awaiting execution. Imperial Japan, after hearing that the NPA had knocked out the combined armies of the Co-Prosperity Sphere, they fled and gave us a peace deal where the Japanese would leave China and return Manchukuo. Imperial Japan and the rest of the Co-Prosperity Sphere didn't dare try to attack China even after Long Yun's death in fear of complete annihilation in the hands of the Chinese armies. The large population of the Chinese army with the advancements in industry, technology, and education implemented by Gao Zongwu's Five Modernizations are a dangerous combination that spells annihilation for Japan and the remaining members of the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

(Hanjians are Chinese traitors who are ethnic Hans, Wang Jingwei and Chen Chongbo are notable examples. Aisin Gioro Puyi is technically a traitor, but because he isn't an ethnic Han, he's not considered a Hanjian, hence probably why he wasn't executed under Mao's rule, I don't know if Chiang would execute Puyi.)

Nanjing, Free China, 1968

Eight years of futile resistance, twenty-four years of brutal occupation, and four years of struggling offensives, Zhongguo is finally free from imperialism. We're no longer slaves of the Samurai and the people can live happily, liberated from the shackles of imperialism. A ceremony celebrating our liberation was held in Nanjing. The flag on the Presidential Palace was raised, the chorus lined up, and the orchestra began playing:

"Arise, ye who refuse to be slaves!
With our flesh and blood, let us build a new Great Wall!
As China faces her greatest peril,
From each one the urgent call to action comes forth.
Arise! Arise! Arise!
Millions of but one heart
Braving the enemies' fire! March on!
Braving the enemies' fire! March on!"

(A/N: Yes, I know it's just like the real-life "March of the Volunteers" but in TNO this is the anthem for the NPA.)

So many lives lost by suicidal attacks, so many homes destroyed, so many families torn apart or killed. To the people who survived, are we liberators, or monsters? I joined the war to liberate China from the Japanese, not to kill innocent people! But I had no choice, it was either kill or be executed by Long Yun. The story of that officer who Long Yun executed still sticks in my mind.

**Warning graphic content ahead**

Officer Gong: We should retreat to this point and defend until they're exhausted and push them out.

Long Yun upon hearing the words "retreat", shook violently and stared at the officer with pure rage. The others sweated in fear of the officer and themselves. They knew what would happen next.

Long Yun: GUARDS! Take him to the dog house!

Officer Gong stepped back in panic and pleaded for mercy. Two masked guards stepped out and stood behind Gong.

Officer Gong: No, NO! Not the dog house! Have mercy on me Long! Anything but that!

Long Yun: Cut out his guts and let the dogs feast on his flesh! Make sure all he feels is pain!