Chapter 2 The Tiger's first step

Nanjing, July 20, 1951, 7:00 AM

Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek has given an order for an offensive war against the other world and mobilized the reorganized and reformed elite 88th and 36th Divisions led by General Gu Zhutong. My recent promotion from lieutenant to captain gives me command of a platoon* that my friends are also assigned to.

(Disclaimer: This is the National Revolutionary Army, I don't know if they have the same army unit size as the US Army, but I'm most likely guessing not as China possesses a larger population size than America)

German panzer Is and British Vickers 6-ton tanks lined up in front of the infantry, ready to move. Infantry lined up behind them, Type 24 rifles or ZB vz. 26 LMGs loaded, Type 31 mortars resting on shoulders, and Type 24 machine gun squads. Several M3 half-tracks towing artillery or anti-air idled behind the infantry.

Zhutong: All troops, forward march!

We marched into the entrance of the gateway to another world. It is pitch black, paranoia set inside me, it could be a trap to lure us in here. After 5 minutes of boots clapping on the ground, a bright light shines in front of us. Is it the entrance to the other world?

5 minutes later

We made it to the other world. The sight of the sun indicates that dawn is here, and the daylight is coming, but now is not the time to admire the landscape. Fires lit up on the horizon, signaling the enemy has spotted us and will counterattack, we only have at least 2 hours to spare.

Y/N: Dig trenches and construct emplacements for our tanks and artillery! Move now or our failure will put Nanjing in danger again!

All soldiers took out shovels and began to dig trenches while others stood guard. Tanks moved into trenches reinforced with sandbags. Artillery and anti-air are manned and loaded. The screams and war cries of the unknown forces are closing in. I hopped into a trench and aimed my rifle at them.

Y/N: Here they come my brothers! Here they come! Greet them with a hail of lead!

Gunfire from a Type 24 machine gun may be slow, but the 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge stops them dead in their tracks. Artillery fire from the 15 cm sFH 18 wiped out huge groups of their infantry and dragons are of no use as our Madsen 20mm cannon and 3.7 Flak 18 anti-air made quick work of them. The battle only lasted an hour and we were victorious, with no casualties, and not one infantryman of the unknown army made it to our defensive positions. Now we have time to set up a base of operations and plan our next move.

5 hours later

Command HQ, barracks, and basic fortifications are set up. Now we have to scout the area for any places of possible ambushes or dangers while we wait for supplies and more manpower from the New 1st Army with air support. I was tasked with patrolling the nearby woodlands and checking a nearby village for any guerilla activity. I just hope the locals comply or cooperate peacefully and not end up with a situation similar to raiding suspected communist cells back at home. The image of us being raiders, looters and killers will not sit well with any nations or people of this world and the UN. My team took an M3 half-track and advanced into the forest.

Y/N: Well everyone. What do you all think about all this that happened recently?

Sun: Beats working in the arsenals and maybe fighting the Japanese devils or communist bandits.

(Note: Japanese devils or Riben guizi is a derogative term to the Japanese during WW2, Communist Bandits or gongfei is the same, only to Chinese Communist)

Shen: The civil war only ended about a year ago and now this? I just hope those communist bandits don't stage another uprising while we're focused on this.

Adonis: It's just very hard to believe. An army invading right in the Nanjing capital? Why didn't they go for Peking (Beijing) or Shanghai? Nothing makes any sense. Also, they just invaded through that structure sitting in the middle of Nanjing road. Sounds like something out of an ancient story.

Wei: All of the enemy troops have primitive weaponry. Swords, spears, shields, bows, they look nothing like the weapons of the previous dynasties.

Y/N: Whatever or whoever attacked us, I hope we'll get to the bottom of this and resolve this peacefully as quickly as possible. We have more dire problems to handle back home and there would be threats that'll take advantage of the situation.

There are still many evils that still looms over Zhongguo. From triads that traffick opium, to corrupt military officers or government officials, and worst-case scenario, a communist uprising. I looked up to see us entering the forest area.

Y/N: Weapons up and eyes peeled, there could be hostiles hiding anywhere.

I took out my Type 24 rifle and chamber a bullet. Now's not the time to think about home, I need to focus on my mission at the moment.

Chapter 2 end

Edit 1: fixed mistake on Chapter number
Edit 2: added date and time of event