Chapter 8 Mouth of the Yangtze

August 15, 1937

I'm back in the streets of Shanghai. The Japanese Devils have sparked an all-out war through the Ōyama Incident. They have landed in Shanghai fighting their way to Nanjing. Sounds of gunfire and artillery surround us while planes filled the skies engaging in dogfights and bombing raids. All while Sergeant Cai gives everyone a pep talk raising his C96 Mauser.

Cai: The Devils that have wretched Dongbei from us are now here to take Shanghai! After Shanghai, they will continue to subjugate our country and enslave our people! We won't let them take our country and families without a fight! They expect to take Shanghai in 3 days and Zhongguo in 3 months, but they will not succeed!

Peeking over the sandbags the Japanese began to advance down the street. Taking out my rifle I aimed down the sights and waited to fire on Cai's command.

Cai: Here they come, my brothers! Here they come! DEATH TO THE DEVILS!

Without thinking I fired my rifle into the crowd of Japanese troops advancing down the street, hitting one and causing his friends to scatter for cover. The rest of the squad followed, taking potshots at any Devils unfortunate enough to run out of cover. We held them off until a Type 95 Ha-Go tank drove down the street. Unfortunately, none of us ever saw a tank or possessed any anti-tank weaponry. We wasted countless bullets shooting the tank until it fired a shot into the nest. Sergeant Cai was injured, the machine gun crew was dead and unusable and the Devils hiding behind cover ran out to support the tank. Everyone else including I survived unscathed.

Cai: Retreat to the main defense line! They have anti-tank equipment there, get moving!

I grabbed Sergeant Cai's MP18 and ran while laying down suppressive fire.

Y/N: Keep moving! Careful with the Sergeant, he's still alive!

I ran into the main defense line where a PaK 36 anti-tank was stationed. The anti-tank crew immediately rammed a round inside and fired directly at the tank, punching through its armor and exploding. Everyone cheered at the destruction of the tank.

We held back the Japanese, but Sergeant Cai was injured and everyone was exhausted. We burned through half our ammunition reserves shooting at the tank and the main defense line had little reserves. Sergeant Cai is too injured to keep fighting and was replaced with an incompetent, corrupted buffoon who most likely bribed his way through promotion. Sergeant Lee, I hated him, constantly lazed around and stole ammunition. We told him we needed it to shoot the Devils but continued to steal equipment. A week had passed and I decided to give him a piece of my mind.

Y/N: I had enough of Sergeant Lee's shit! If he continues stealing our ammunition and shells, we might as well be using swords, spears, and fists against the Devil's!

NRA Private 1: Y/N, don't, it's not worth it!

NRA Private 2: He can execute you without any notice!

Y/N: I'd rather shoot him myself! He did nothing to deserve this position and sabotaged our defenses against the Devil's! He's weakening us and while we're bleeding and dying from the Devil's, that coward is running away.

NRA Private 1: But Y/N, that's a capital crime! Get back here!

I ignored those pleas and walked to Sergeant Lee. As always, the bastard is not trying to hide the fact he's stealing more ammunition.

Lee: What are you doing here Y/N? Get back to your position.

Y/N: I could ask you the same. Stop stealing our ammunition!

Lee sneered and began to laugh.

Lee: Stop stealing ammunition? Or what will happen?

Y/N: Everyone is bleeding and dying. You have done nothing and you're weakening everyone. Every bullet you steal is one more Devil alive on our land!