Chapter 13: Aftershock

"Thank you, Cliff," I said as I got out of the SUV.

"Yeah, thanks Cliff," Jensen quietly repeated.

I walked with Jensen towards the elevator. Luckily nobody was in the lobby, and I hoped the elevator would hurry up and get us to the third floor. Jensen looked lost in his own mind, and I wasn't sure what I could do to help him. His world just seemed to shatter around him. The elevator came to a stop, and as the doors opened Jensen stayed in his thoughts. I hesitantly grabbed his hand. Pulling him from his thoughts, I guided him to my apartment.

"How're you doing?" I checked on him as we entered the apartment.

"I'm fine," he answered too quickly.

"Jensen, please tell me how you really are. There's no way you can seriously be fine after what just happened."

"What do you want me to say, Y/N? That I'm not okay, that I haven't been for years. I've been trying so hard to make everyone else in the world happy, and I've been miserable. I've built a life for myself in acting, and that very well could be over because of what she tweeted. There is no way I can see myself coming back from this," Jensen's voice was raised and his eyes were watering.

"Jensen–"

"No, Y/N. It's not okay and it won't be okay," his frustration was quickly turning to anger.

I wanted to help him, but I didn't know what I could do. It was out of our control. All that could be done was try to salvage the pieces that were left and go from there. Jensen's phone suddenly buzzed in rapid succession. I heard the swoosh of him sending off a text, then his face darkening at something on screen.

I received a text from a number I didn't recognize. "I'm sorry, it's about to be ten times worse. I made them finish filming early and am doing everything I can - Jared," it read.

I looked up at Jensen in confusion of what Jared just told me. Jensen's gaze was already trained on me, his glowering expression worrying me.

"Jensen? What happened?" I shied from his glare.

"Why don't you tell me, Y/N? Because, now, it seems as though this is all your fault," the venom in his voice stung. "Apparently, the divorce that's ending my life is because I decided to be unfaithful. That my so-called assistant, recently seen with me," he showed me a picture of us on twitter, "took me to her apartment to 'celebrate' my divorce."

"You know that's not–"

"Well it doesn't seem to matter now does it?"

"I'm trying to help, just–"

"You know what Y/N? Maybe this wouldn't have happened the way it currently is if you'd never stumbled back into my life," he seethed. "If you weren't here– if I didn't need an assistant because of this divorce, then maybe my life wouldn't be falling apart."

"Fine," I dropped my phone in shock. "Stay here as long as you like," I numbly murmured.

I walked out the door towards the stairs. I faintly heard Jensen call out to me as I turned the corner, and him swear when he didn't see me in the hallway. Not having anywhere else to go, I went up. The stairs led to the roof. I just sat up there alone, unaware of the cold seeping into my bones. I couldn't tell if it was the weather or the pain that was the cause of it.

---Jensen's POV---

As soon as the words left my mouth I regretted them. I could see how they broke her. The way her eyes became empty, her phone slipping out of her grasp onto the floor, and the slow blink as the words sunk in.

"Fine, stay here as long as you like," she turned and walked out the door.

I was stuck in place. I couldn't move as the frustration and anger left me as quickly as it appeared. I forced my muscles to move, to go after her.

"Y/N," I called out as I reached the door. She was gone, the hallway empty. "Damn it!"

I went back into her apartment. She just needs some space, I thought. She'll be back soon enough. I sat on her couch to wait.

---

The sun was beginning to lower itself towards the horizon and she still wasn't back. It was cold, and she hadn't taken anything with her. I tried to call her, but her phone rang from the floor, her keys were on a counter, her car still wasn't here, and all I could do was replay what I'd said. The look of hurt. The flash of betrayed pain before the nothingness enveloped the depths of her Y/E/C eyes. How she'd responded above a whisper, barely audible. The robotic way that she'd moved, almost like a defense.

I wish I could take back my words. That my anger and frustration towards Danneel hadn't been turned on her. Y/N hadn't done anything wrong. She'd gone out of her way to keep me from being alone because I didn't want to be, then the stupid paparazzi picture showed up with speculations swarming around it on Twitter. The once welcoming community began to call her such terrible things. Danneel didn't say anything to disagree with the statement, and I knew if I said anything it'd only make matters worse for the both of us.

Jared asked me earlier when to pick me up, but I just told him not to worry about it, I was going to stay at Y/N's tonight. I couldn't leave while she was still somewhere alone. She didn't even really know the city. Where could she have gone for so long? Not knowing what else to do at this point, I began to look around her apartment for any inkling of where she could be.

---Y/N's POV---

I sat on the roof for hours. I saw the sun set slowly over the Vancouver skyline. I couldn't forget what Jensen said. That this backlash on him was my fault. That he didn't want me back in his life like I thought. Maybe we weren't able to be friends again like I'd hoped. I didn't even know if he was still in my apartment. I didn't want to be there if he was, but the only way to know was to see for myself. I willed my cold, stiff body to move again. To slowly make my way to the stairwell's door with the stars' light guiding me.

Not knowing the time, I quietly made my way down to my door. Shit, I don't have my key, I knocked softly on my door. I heard the quiet shuffling stop. I knocked again, then there was a rush towards the door. It flung open to reveal a disheveled Jensen. His frantic eyes widened as he quickly pulled me into a hug. Without thinking, I flinched at the sudden contact from him.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry," he released me as I entered my apartment.

I stayed silent, content with the numbness that was preventing me from further getting hurt. I made my way to my room, closed the door, and laid on my bed. I stared at the blankness that was my wall. What had once begun to feel like a home now felt cold and alien once again.

"Y/N please let me talk to you," Jensen called through the door.

"I know that you don't want me here, just let it be, Jensen," I said.

I heard a thud on my door then the sound of him sliding to the floor.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said. "Even if it takes forever, I will make things right."

Nothing's changed, I solemnly thought. You don't want me around.

---Author's Note---

Hi, it's been awhile. Two weeks of no upload. Well, I didn't know how to get this chapter right. It was always either too much or not enough. Hopefully this is a good middle ground to push forward with the story. Thank you for reading and being patient. I appreciate you all!