Chapter 10: The Weekend pt.2

"Are you sure it was a good idea to pie Jared?" I asked while cleaning the cream that went everywhere.

"He'll be fine, he's in the shower right now. Now move over, you don't need to clean the mess," Jensen kneeled down next to me.

"I want to help. I'm also pretty sure the mess was my fault more than yours anyways."

"You did get him pretty good though," he laughed.

"I just don't think it was a good idea. He didn't deserve me pieing him, he's been nice to me. Why'd I pie him?"

"Because you knew it would be fine, and I could take a joke," Jared said walking out from the bathroom. "It was really funny. I seriously did not expect that to happen."

"I'm sorry," I told him.

"Don't be. You haven't seen some of the things Jensen and I have done on set yet. Believe me when getting pied is a regular occurrence."

"I told you he'd be fine," Jensen said as he got up. "It was a simple prank, an easy clean, and the food will still be warm. Now all that's left to do is eat and continue bingeing Supernatural."

Gathering the paper towels from the floor, I threw them away. Each of us grabbed our respective takeout container and settled back into our seats. The next few episodes we watched together were enticing. I knew Jensen and Jared were commenting on what had happened during the filming, but I didn't hear a thing they heard. Instead I was focused on the way the two of them always seemed to be so close. They played brothers, but I could see that the two of them really were like brothers.

It wasn't until I watched Dean use a can and flame to fight bugs that I began to feel tired. Feeling myself slowly relax, I eventually fell asleep.

---

Wandering. Going through the darkness alone, trying to reach the light in the distance. The harder I try to reach it, the farther away it seems to become. The more I raced to reach the light, the more it felt like I was racing through quick sane. Scared of what could surround me in the perpetual darkness, I frantically chased what seemed to be an impossible goal. There was something in the light, a figure even.

"Y/N," I heard called out. "C'mon, Y/N."

"It's okay," I awoke to Jensen reassuring me. "Shhh. It was just a dream. I've got you."

All I could feel was myself trembling and the pounding of my heart. Jensen carefully wrapped his arm across my shoulders and pulled me into his side.

"Are you okay?" He worried.

"Fine. Like you said, just a dream," I reassured myself more than him.

"Do you want to talk about it? Maybe it could help?"

Trying to calm my still racing heart, I shook my head no, "What time is it?"

"It's about four now. You fell asleep here at some point, and you made it impossible for me to move you to a bed. Jared took the guest room, and I was going to give you my bed and I'd crash in here. But, no, you wouldn't budge, so I covered you."

"Thanks," I felt myself slowly calm down as he spoke. "If you want, you can go back to bed. I think I might be up for a while."

Jensen just stared into my eyes for a moment. He looked so concerned, like he was going to try and fix everything. His eyes softened after a minute of searching mine.

"Did you know you talk in your sleep?" He quietly asked.

"I do not," I retaliated.

"You do! That's how I noticed when you first fell asleep! You said something about a sign at the end of a hall," he faltered for a moment. "Then later, once Jared left, you said 'Come back dad.'"

"It's just-"

"You don't need to explain if you don't want to. Once you'd said that, I came over and talked to you. You seemed to calm down, but I wanted to make sure you were okay. So, I decided I'd crash on the other couch. You were pretty quiet until just now."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I didn't know, and I don't want to be a bother. Just go to your room, I'll be okay."

"I will, but first I'm keeping you company."

He gave my shoulders a final squeeze then removed his arm. He grabbed the remote and turned the TV back on. He chose Friends and turned it down low. He leaned back into the couch and pulled me into it as well. I appreciated that he wasn't forcing me to talk but I couldn't help but feel like I needed to tell him some of it.

"Around a month after the thing with the letters," I began, "my dad's condition started to get worse. Rapidly deteriorating, is more accurate."

"I'm so sorry, Y/N, I had no idea," he grabbed my hand.

"It wasn't your fault. I had to get a few jobs to help pay for his care. I like to think it helped, but eventually the treatments just stopped working. Eventually the doctors told us we could only make him comfortable for the end. I kept working so that mom could stay with him. In the end I had to tell him goodbye over the phone. Mom fell apart from it, how couldn't she? I kept up the work to support her. Eventually she seemed to come to terms with it, and we worked together to keep our lives going. She passed three years after dad in her sleep. The paramedics said it was the most painless way to go, but how would they know? I didn't get a chance to tell her goodbye."

"I'm so sorry, Y/N. You didn't deserve any of that. I wish there was some way to make all of it better."

"That's the other half of the reason I wanted to get away from Texas. I'd finally gotten through college, and all that was left for me there was painful reminders of everything I lost. Mom, dad, and you. But I am so very glad that I stumbled into you again."

"I'm glad you're here, too. I never thought we'd see each other again."

I gave his hand a squeeze before releasing it. I scooted a little closer toward him on the couch and we watched TV together. The sun eventually inched its way over the horizon, and as it did I fell back to sleep against Jensen.

"Thank you, Jay," I mumbled before I succumbed to sleep.

---

As I slowly awoke I cuddled further into the warmth surrounding me. Peeling my eyes open, I saw I was no longer on the couch but in a bed. Trying to figure out how I got here from the living room, I looked at my phone to check the time. It was noon and I had a text from Jensen.

The text read: Hey, Jared and I decided to pick some stuff up to cook tonight. I carried you to my room once you'd fallen back asleep. We will be back before one, so make yourself at home. I didn't want to wake you, so if you need anything let me know.

Not able to think of anything, I locked my phone. Thinking back on what I'd told him last night I felt both worry and relief. Relieved that I was able to properly talk about what happened with someone, but also worried he would see me differently. I'm a nobody, someone who could just be a chapter in the book of his life once again. It terrifies me to think that, because it's slowly starting to dawn on me just how much I need him and how badly I've missed him.

It's not your fault, I thought to myself. Some things in life happened. Surely he's had obstacles to overcome in life as well.