Chapter 14: Remorse and Illness

I couldn't do anything except stare at my wall. I didn't know what time it was when I heard Jensen get up and move somewhere else in the apartment. I couldn't be bothered to get up and do anything. There was a knock at my front door, then some shuffling.

"Just wait a moment Jensen," I heard Jared call from the hallway.

I heard his footsteps approaching my door. There was a light knock, then my door cracked open.

"Y/N? Are you alright?" Jared tentatively stayed by the door.

I gave a slight nod, unable to make my voice work.

"I brought your car back. I'm also going to be bringing Jensen back to his place. Do you want me to bring you anything later?"

I shook my head and gave him a thumbs up.

Jared gave a slight sigh, "Alright...I'll lock the handle on my way out. If you need anything just let me know."

With that, he closed my door. I could faintly hear him telling Jensen it was time to go, some sort of arguing, then my front door being opened and closed. I finally let the full weight of the numbness envelop me, and released myself to sleep.

---Jensen's POV---

I fitfully slept on the couch, hoping one of the times I awoke everything would be just another bad dream. That I would walk back toward Y/N's room and hear her soft snores. Every time I went to check on her I was met with dull silence. I lost count of how many times I walked up to that door and walked away.

Eventually daytime arrived, and with it so did Jared. When I let him into the apartment, he instantly knew I messed up. The guilt has been festering inside me for so long, and I didn't know what else to do. I begged Jared to check on her, told him how she left and came back freezing. He came back with a look of concern and frustration.

"We're leaving now. I don't know what you did, but obviously you weren't thinking," he shot me a hard look.

"Is she-" I started to ask.

"I'll tell you once she has some space. For now, you're going to be at your own apartment and I'll be checking in on you. Some space will do both of you some good. C'mon Cliff is waiting downstairs."

Jared ushered me out the door, making sure to lock the handle, and we made the descent to leave. Once we were in the SUV, I explained everything to him. At first he was concerned, but the more I spoke the more frustrated he became. Once I finished explaining why she stormed out, then came back, and just stayed in her room the rest of the night I couldn't stand to make eye contact with him. I knew I messed up again, and I had no idea how I was going to fix things before work tomorrow.

"We're here," Jared gritted out. "Thanks Cliff."

I stayed silent as I exited the SUV and headed towards my apartment. I didn't bother to turn any lights on, or even see if Jared was following, as I laid face-down on the couch. I'm never leaving this apartment again. I can't cause anymore problems this way at least, I think to myself. I might be able to convince one of the writers to have Dean stay missing this season...

"Stop moping. You aren't going to fix this if you don't do anything about it," Jared shoved my legs off the couch.

I sit up, "It seems there's nothing I can do! Danneel announced the divorce, then used the picture paparazzi got as proof I was an unfaithful partner. Right now, there's nothing out there proving it's untrue."

"There's two options."

"Which are what, exactly?"

"The first one is that you could release the actual divorce papers. She filed for the divorce, and you signed them. That would show the divorce was her idea. As far as the paparazzi picture goes, you can say that your personal assistant was helping you find the papers. You were never unfaithful to Danneel, and the date of the divorce is months behind you even having a personal assistant. Or, you could contact your lawyer and sue her for defamation of character. Those are the two most evident ways to handle this situation."

"I don't want to sue her. It's my fault we were even together as long as we were."

Jared's phone made a ping. He pulled it out of his pocket and read the text, quickly responded, then stood from where he was sitting.

"Then you know what to do for now. I'm going to leave so you can start grabbing the papers. Good luck, Jay." Jared patted me on the shoulder before seeing himself out.

I hope this goes well. Once this is cleared up I can focus on making things up to Y/N, I think to myself.

---Y/N's POV---

When I finally awoke the sky was becoming dark again. I felt terrible. As soon as I sat up the nausea washed over me, so I rushed to the bathroom. I threw up what was left in my stomach. Once my stomach was empty the headache felt worse, my body ached, and I didn't want to move.

I finally found the strength to walk back to my bed using the walls for support. Flopping onto it, I reached blindly for my phone. Once I felt it, I opened the text chain Jared had started with me.

Can you let everyone know I won't be in tomorrow? Nor the next few days. I'm making an appointment with a doctor as we speak, I messaged.

No problem. Is everything okay? He responded immediately.

I was outside too long last night. It was colder than I thought, but now I feel terrible. Going to get everything checked out and find out what's up.

Take it easy, and don't worry about work. They'll understand. Feel better soon.

Thanks.

---

"Be sure to call if you're not better in a week, and the antibiotics will be ready at the pharmacy in about an hour," Dr. Steele reminded me.

"Thank you again for fitting me in," I shake her hand.

"Feel better soon."

As I exit the doctor's office, it begins to rain. My phone buzzes. Shielding the screen from the drops of rain, I see my Uber canceled. I groan in frustration. It will take too long for a different one to accept, and get here in this weather. Not knowing what else to do, I open my contacts and redial my most recent call.

---Author's Note---

Hi, it's been quite awhile. I just wanted to say that, no I didn't abandon this work. My laptop stopped working, and I don't write on my phone. So, I had to take an unforeseen hiatus from writing in general. I finally saved enough money to get a new laptop, so updates should become somewhat regular again. It's unfortunate that I had no means of updating for as long as I did. I'm just glad that I write everything in google docs, because there is no turning on my old laptop. Thanks for being understanding of the situation. Also thank you to everyone who has still read, commented, messaged, and/or voted on this work. I'm working on taking all my written down chapters into a digital format, so updates are still coming, they'll just be kind of slow. I'm working on getting chapters digitized, taking classes, as well as editing the written chapters. Please be patient. Thanks.