Chapter 3: Preparing for Vancouver

The sun shining onto my face is what I first notice, then the headache makes itself known. I sit up slightly disoriented, trying to remember why I went to sleep fully clothed. I glance around seeing the packed boxes, and my eyes land on the one labeled 'Books and Under Bed' giving my heart a little squeeze once again. I tear my eyes from the box and make my way to find Advil or something for this headache.

Swallowing the medicine and putting coffee on, I check my phone. I have an email from Eric, skimming the contents I see he's asking me to just send an invoice for the shipping fees they'll be covering for me. I look at the flight confirmation again, and see I need to be at the airport for three in the evening tomorrow. The coffee pot beeps, making me jump from my thoughts.

"Okay," I think aloud, "I need to rent a car for today. I also need to bring my furniture to GoodWill or someplace like that, I can't ship that to my new place. I also need to bring all the boxes to the post office and start getting them mailed to the apartment as well..." I trail off as I take a sip of coffee.

I'm feeling better about my decision to leave than I did last night. I can finally leave Texas, just like I wished I could all those years ago. Everything works itself out I guess, I just wish it didn't work out the way it did.

Finished with my coffee, I begin to prepare for my last errands before being ready to leave Texas. I was nervous, but I knew this was the right choice for me.

---

I got home later than I expected. Dropping my now old furniture off at GoodWill was no issue. The post office was a pain though, and the fact that I had multiple large boxes wasn't doing me any favors either. But I eventually got all of them set to be flown first class, and they would be at my new home throughout the next couple of weeks. I made sure to get a receipt before I left, and I figure I can bring that to Eric when I go to sign paperwork. After returning the car rental, I got an Uber back to my apartment.

This was my last night here. I did a last walkthrough, making sure everything I needed was already packed in my suitcase and backpack. I took a hoodie from my suitcase and put it in the backpack for the flight. I also made sure my laptop charger was in my bag, and sighed in relief when I saw it was. Going to the bathroom I gather all my toiletries and put them in my suitcase. All I had left to do was make it through the night and I'd be free from there. I couldn't help the sense of relief that flooded through me as I relaxed for the evening.

---

I placed the key to the apartment on the counter and walked out, suitcase in hand and backpack on. This was it. I texted my now former landlord the key was on the counter as per his request, and walked out of the complex. I got a taxi to the airport and was feeling a few nerves. I wasn't a fan of flying, but it was better than having to drive to Vancouver. I just had to fly for seven hours, then I could start anew.

I arrive at the airport an hour before my flight leaves. I get my bags checked, go through TSA, and wait near my gate. I take a seat and pull my phone out of my pocket, just in time to see my alarm alert me it's five minutes until three. I should be departing soon. I have a feeling that this flight is going to be interesting.

Suddenly I hear the gate agent calling for first class to board. I see a small crowd of people make their way to the agent; an older couple stands out to me as the man kindly guides his wife towards the gate with such care. They seem so sweet, I hope to find that one day. Next the agent calls for business class to board, and many people in suits and formal attire make their way to board. There are two men that are hard to miss in this group; aside from their much more casual attire and wearing hats with sunglasses, they were both well over six foot. From what I could see the taller of the two had long hair for a guy, and the shorter one seemed oddly familiar to me. There was something about him that I recognized, but I couldn't place what it was, I just had a feeling I knew him from somewhere. Maybe I saw him at a store a few days ago, or somewhere in town while running errands yesterday?

I tried to shake the feeling as the economy section of the plane was called. I got up, walked to the agent and showed her my ticket. Boarding the plane, I saw those two men again and that uneasiness came back to me. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself, this was going to be a much longer seven hour flight than I expected. I just hope the flight goes well and I can leave the plane as soon as possible. Luck was on my side though as I was the only person in my row, so I wouldn't have to worry about dealing with someone else during the flight.

I was only half listening to the flight attendant as she went through the safety speech. Soon after all the passengers were buckled in and we began to go down the runway. I squeezed my eyes shut as we began to ascend into the sky, only opening them when we were leveled out and the seatbelt light turned off. I sighed as I found my headphones and began to drown out my worries with music. I stared out the window, trying my best not to think during the entirety of the flight, waiting to see Vancouver below. Something in me still felt off since seeing that man, and I knew the feeling wasn't going to leave.

After the seven hour long flight, that felt more like twelve, we were finally back on the ground. We departed from the plane in reverse of how we boarded it. Economy got off, then business, and finally first class. Once I was through security I stood near the baggage claim to get my suitcase. I was one of the last people to get their luggage, and once I had it I immediately went outside to hail a taxi. As I was entering the vehicle, about to tell the driver the address to my new apartment, I saw those two men again. They were getting into the back of a black SUV, and I could have sworn the shorter of the two looked straight at me. Tearing my eyes from this mysterious man, I finished telling the driver my address. I looked at everything as the driver wove through the late night traffic to my new home.

Good thing I brought a hoodie, I mused to myself. Looks like a cold night, the windows all seem to be frosted wherever we go. That'll take some getting used to.