Episode 3 - The Turkish Diplomat

March 1913

March 1913

Six months had passed by and Emma was spending more time in the village than in the house. Mary was excited at the prospect of a possible engagement with Evelyn Napier, whom she met a few times within the six months, and that had given Cora hope as well.

Edith was pursuing Matthew, now that she had made it obviously clear that she fancied him, Emma felt a bit sorry for the both of them. She didn't want to witness Edith's hard work of trying to woo Matthew going down the drain. She also came to realise that Matthew didn't have any feelings for Edith. Although he was gentlemanly towards Edith and Emma didn't say anything about this blooming relationship.

Emma had spent time with Matthew and learning a bit about industrial law, she found it fascinating and reading books about different laws and rights through the English centuries, the pair had become fast friends and Emma was glad to spend time with him in the estate, although neither had seen each other as mutual attraction, it was more of like a brother-sister relationship that Emma learned to recognize, she even tried to encourage Matthew being involved of running the estate with Robert, however he still shown reluctance in accepting his new job. Even Isobel had taking a liking towards Emma at the Crawley house and she had invited Emma to dinner at least once a week. Emma admired Isobel Crawley's kindness and she was very involved and passionate in nursing. Emma thought she was trying hard to impress when she and Isobel went to the hospital together as Emma showed her around, although there was a spark in cousin Isobel's eyes as she volunteered looking after the patients.

Emma had seen Matthew and Mary toning down the volcanic attitude towards each other and she had suspected Matthew fancied Mary since he had tried to gently waver off Edith. Emma was relieved that the tension around the dinner table died down since Mary was pursuing Mr. Napier. Mary had talked of nothing but Napier and to Emma it was starting to be a dull topic of conversation that she had turned to leaving the house for a few hours to escape the gossip of Mary's possible proposal from Evelyn Napier.

Emma didn't see much of James. He was a true man of his word when he said, he divided his time around different towns. He had closed down his shop in Liverpool and hope to buy a bigger house in Downton, closer to the Crawley House.

James wasn't even lying when said he and Matthew were friends, they went to the same school and his grandfather opened the tailor store before he passed away, then it was passed to James's father, where he built the shop into a booming success and a money spinner in London, then he had passed away from a spinal tumor, and it was passed onto James in early 1912. His mother lived in New Jersey and was happy.

He even had bought a small apartment floor in London and invited the Crawley's for dinner. Which they had accepted. Emma had even noticed that Mary had toned down her remarks about James when she learnt that James was a self-made millionaire. Emma didn't care that James was either a millionaire or a road-worker.

Emma had arrived at Ripon the day before Edith said she was going into the village and Emma offered to go with her. Edith had brushed off Emma and she went off however when Emma had walked alongside her, Edith rolled her eyes and bit her tongue. Edith and Emma were walking towards the post when they heard someone rung a bike bell and Emma glanced behind her to see her intelligent friend.