Episode 4 - The Fair

Hi everyone, here is the fourth episode and it is a bit shorter than the other ones. I was meant to post it yesterday but I had writers block so I had finished it just now and I didn't want to delay this chapter any longer. 

Today is also my birthday! I had planned on going on a shopping spree with my sis and spending time with my family.  x

The Fair

The Fair

May 1913. Two months it had been since Mr. Pamuk's death. Emma still hadn't forgiven Mary, and neither had Cora, nor did they ever talk about that night. Emma felt like there was a chain around her neck, weighing her down. She had suspected that everyone had noticed that Emma wasn't herself; she felt dirty, like had committed a crime and covered it up, Emma was withdrawn, even with her coming out ball in April. She didn't want to parade herself in front of the lords and ladies, especially to a man named Larry Grey, who was such a snob that Emma pretended to be ill to escape his presence.

Emma hadn't been seeing James a lot as well. He still came over to the house on the weekends for dinner and even made a ball gown Emma and Sybil. Sybil was taken by his design and asked if she come up with ideas for a casual version of the dress made for her. Once, Emma had gone to London for a fashion show with Sybil and James, she asked Sybil because she was someone she could lean on and had a sympathetic heart where else Mary had stated her opinion discouraging her.

'Why do you need to go? Surely there are other friends that you are neglecting? Lady Vaughn had sent a telegram inviting us for lunch.' Mary frowned at her sister on the day that Emma and Sybil were leaving.

Emma sighed in annoyance, 'Lady Vaughn and I are only acquaintances...she isn't my friend.'

'So? You are just going to abandon me for Jean-Philippe Worth?'

'Jean-Philippe Worth is a respected fashion designer.' Emma stated hotly, her eyes narrowing at Mary. 'Why do you nose in my business?'

Mary looked taken back, 'Darling, I am not trying to nose in your affairs, but I am just saying you need to be careful.'

'Of what?' Emma said, shrugging her shoulders.

Mary didn't say anything.

'Go on, tell me.' Emma said, her eyes flashed darkly.

'Don't play with people's heart, that's all.' Mary revealed and she walked off.

On one particular day, Emma was in the library, reading Mansfield Park on the red lounge and her father was at his desk, writing.

'You wanted to see the new chauffeur, my lord,' Carson said at the door.

'Yes, indeed. Please send him in,' said Robert.

The new chauffeur came in and Emma looked up and realised he was quite an attractive lad. He had soft blue eyes and light brown hair, and dressed in his motor green uniform that made him look sharp.